Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
some more info on oil

I would not use the diesel oils any longer as they have changed their formulation and no longer carry a "spark engine" API rating such as SN.
Hello there this post got me thinking so I went on to do some research , and I found this site that has some interesting information about oil and oil filters that I want to share https://calsci.com/

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The funny thing is, this is the first time I've used Castrol 4T, and it is still amber (a darker amber) in color. I've ridden over a 1000 miles since the last oil change, and by this time, the previous oil (Mobil One 4T) would have been almost black by now. Interesting. The clutch still has a strong grip (meaning it transfers power firmly), still with a narrow friction zone. The only issue I've seen so far, is the blow by leakage from the crankcase breather into the air cleaner has increased a little bit, getting a bit more oil on the side of the engine. But beyond that, no other issues. I cleaned the ends of the exhaust pipes when I changed the oil, and there is absolutely nothing so far, expect nice clean chrome at the tips, so it's not burning any oil that I have seen. The oil level shows that too.
so Castrol is the way to go

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,704 Posts
In 2010 the American Petroleum Institute introduced a new engine oil category under the name API SN and a new supplemental category called Resource Conserving. The API SN category is an improvement over the API SM category in the following areas: High temperature deposit protection for pistons. Better sludge control.

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,704 Posts
JASO MA – This was the standard for single unit engines where the wet clutch, gearbox and engine used the same oil. JASO-MA oils don't contain friction modifiers. ... If all its properties fall within the limits of MA2 then it can be classified as a JASO MA2 oil.

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,704 Posts
i got an old 4L jug of shell rotella T 15w40 triple protection heavy duty engine oil API CJ-4, CF/SM JASO MA I am thinking of using it

·
Registered
521 Posts
It won't hurt anything. Just shake it really good first.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hello there this post got me thinking so I went on to do some research , and I found this site that has some interesting information about oil and oil filters that I want to share https://calsci.com/
Interesting stuff. I like the oil filter stuff. The oil information especially on the Rotella and other diesel oil is out-dated and no longer valid.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Interesting stuff. I like the oil filter stuff. The oil information especially on the Rotella and other diesel oil is out-dated and no longer valid.
The latest Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 diesel oil carries all of the JASO ratings including the updated ones, so it is quite suitable for motorcycle use.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The latest Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 diesel oil carries all of the JASO ratings including the updated ones, so it is quite suitable for motorcycle use.
It no longer has an API "S#" rating. It's zinc levels are low for diesel emission purposes since its reformulation about a year ago, I used to use it for motorcycle purposes, but no more.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It no longer has an API "S#" rating. It's zinc levels are low for diesel emission purposes since its reformulation about a year ago, I used to use it for motorcycle purposes, but no more.
Seems that Shell has now come out with Rotella versions designed for gasoline truck engine use, so they may have deliberately dropped the SI rating for their Rotella diesel truck engine oils. But so long as an oil carries the JASO ratings those are the important ones for motorcycle use. It will be interesting to see whether their Rotella gasoline oils also are JASO rated. Since they are new products I haven't seen any in the flesh, so to speak, yet.

P.S. Just checked the Shell gasoline Rotella site and there are none available in the 5w-40 or 10w-40 weight range so they are not suitable for the Kawi 900 or other motorcycles I have owned.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
900 owner's manual states 10w-40 motorcycle qualified oil for general use unless conditions such as heat are extreme.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try amsoil. The engine on my 1600D Nomad runs cooler due to the higher viscosity and provides the smoothest shifting you will ever experience. I use engine oil along with the amsoil filter, and use the proper version of amsoil in my drive shaft and forks. And I change my engine oil every 5,000 miles and have been following that regimen for more than 6 years and my bike runs like a scalded cat and purrs like a kitten at idle. The drained oil looks better at 5000 miles than others brands I used to use at 2,000 miles.Watch the you tube videos or go to their web site for more info.

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,704 Posts
for the 900 why not try the new Shell Rotella T6 15w40 it's JASO

·
Registered
868 Posts
20W-50 is not suitable for the water cooled 900. It is suitable for air cooled V-Twins like a Harley, but not water cooled V-Twins. Consult your manual to be sure.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
for the 900 why not try the new Shell Rotella T6 15w40 it's JASO
Any JASO rated oil is suitable for motorcycle use regardless of other specs. JASO indicates that the oil has ingredients, usually metallic, which are intended to prevent motorcycle wet clutch slippage especially compared with oils intended for car use which have those ingredients removed to meet emissions requirements. Car oils also generally have anti-friction properties to help with fuel mileage but those properties also increase the possibility of wet clutch slippage.

I tried using Shell Rotella 15w-40 and I have an actual oil pressure gauge on my 900. At startup and until the oil was warmed the pressure gauge registered pegged at the top reading, meaning that the oil viscosity was so high that it could have activated engine oil bypass pressure valves and so inhibited its ability to lubricate bearings, etc., so I switched back to Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic. That eliminated the oil pressure gauge high pegging readings which means better lubrication at lower oil temperatures. Shell on its website indicates the same results.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts