Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I’ve had my 900 for about 6 months now. I’ve made two oil changes first was with Mobil 1 10w-40 I had that oil in for about 500 miles due to wanting to flush out the engine a bit considering bike was low mileage and a bit old. With Mobil 1 I experienced clunky shifts for the first 20 minutes of riding. Second change was valvoline 10w-40 full synthetic with this oil I don’t get clunky shifts when the bike is cold but really clunky down shifts. Want to try other oils and want to know what you guys have experienced with others and witch work best.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
any of the diesel oils like shell rotella 15w40 diesel or delvac 15w40 diesel are good cause of higher phosphates in them which is good for bearings protection and gear wear

·
Registered
295 Posts
any of the diesel oils like shell rotella 15w40 diesel or delvac 15w40 diesel are good cause of higher phosphates in them which is good for bearings protection and gear wear
I would not use the diesel oils any longer as they have changed their formulation and no longer carry a "spark engine" API rating such as SN.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Okay I’ve had my 900 for about 6 months now. I’ve made two oil changes first was with Mobil 1 10w-40 I had that oil in for about 500 miles due to wanting to flush out the engine a bit considering bike was low mileage and a bit old. With Mobil 1 I experienced clunky shifts for the first 20 minutes of riding. Second change was valvoline 10w-40 full synthetic with this oil I don’t get clunky shifts when the bike is cold but really clunky down shifts. Want to try other oils and want to know what you guys have experienced with others and witch work best.
I have used: Rotella T6, Castrol, Quicksilver, Mobil 1, Quaker State, Delvac, Penzoil and others I can't remember right now. I am not a slave to any brand. I use repetitively what I find to produce the best shifting, with no clutch slipping, that is print labeled for motorcycles, that is easy to obtain and is not too pricey.

I am currently using Wal-mart Full Synthetic 10w-40 SuperTech Motorcycle oil
SupertechOil.jpg

A Hyundai 26300-35504 oil filter that is made by Mann that meets/exceeds the specs for the VN900 and that I can easily get from a Hyundai dealer that is near me, for $6.00 each.

hyundai26300-35504.jpg

And I replace the 12mm crush washer every time I change the oil and I clean the oil screen every other oil change.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I use Castrol Power 1 4T 10W-50 in my 900. This viscosity range is acceptable according to the manual. I live and ride in Texas and need to cover a very broad temp range.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Motul and Bosch

Hello I use Motul 3000 4T10-W40 and Bosch 3300 oil filter and the bike is does not clunk all that much only occasionally but I guess most bike do

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've used Castrol 4T, Amsoil motorcycle oil and I'm currently going to try Motul 7100 this spring. All of them are 10-40

·
Registered
295 Posts
hi,

is that bolt on the left supposed to be so loose?
No, that is for fast video purposes only. Thought it would be apparent that EVERYTHING was pre loosened for fast dis-assembly in the video.

Tighten everything to spec upon re-assembly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Want to try other oils and want to know what you guys have experienced with others and witch work best.
Don't vaporize on us. You asked your question and you have had a few answers. Now, what you gonna do?
ive been looking at Castro 4t but currently out of stock at my local Walmart and have seen really good reviews out of motul 7100 so would really want to try that out but would have to wait till I make a trip to a bigger town near me to buy. Also would like to wait to put at least 1000 miles on the oil I have now since it just got an oil change.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You can order oil online delivered right to your door....:)

·
Registered
414 Posts
The funny thing is, this is the first time I've used Castrol 4T, and it is still amber (a darker amber) in color. I've ridden over a 1000 miles since the last oil change, and by this time, the previous oil (Mobil One 4T) would have been almost black by now. Interesting. The clutch still has a strong grip (meaning it transfers power firmly), still with a narrow friction zone. The only issue I've seen so far, is the blow by leakage from the crankcase breather into the air cleaner has increased a little bit, getting a bit more oil on the side of the engine. But beyond that, no other issues. I cleaned the ends of the exhaust pipes when I changed the oil, and there is absolutely nothing so far, expect nice clean chrome at the tips, so it's not burning any oil that I have seen. The oil level shows that too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I wonder how many remove the crossbar and how many remove the rectifier bracket to access the oil filter.
I remove the rectifier bracket.

I

·
Registered
71 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts