Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I picked up a 07 V2K with 8k on it.
One of the first things I always like to do is change fluids to ensure I can track correctly and the right oil is in.

What is your recommendations on oils for the V2k?

I don't think I'm going to change fork oil as it seems to be just fine.

I will monitor the front forks action and see if I decide otherwise.

I just want to make sure I am putting the best there is.

I was told Rotella 6?

·
Registered
991 Posts
My bike has some miles on it now so I am using Lucas 20/50 to slow the burn lol.... Was using Castrol 10/40 motorcycle racing oil up until last year tho! Envy you the warm weather too, I would love to drag the big bike out of storage and go for a run. April not too far away I guess.:devil2:

·
Registered
724 Posts
OH, boy way to open that can of worms again.
Everyone has their opinion, and it is an opinion, of what oil is best.
Follow what the manual says the bike needs.

No one type is correct.

The rating 10w-30, 10w40 and that it meets Kawi's requirements is more important than if its dino or synthetic, and what brand it is.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
put in Shell Rotella T 15w40 you can get at Auto Zone or O'Reileys for summer and any 10w40 for when it's colder

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bike has some miles on it now so I am using Lucas 20/50 to slow the burn lol.... Was using Castrol 10/40 motorcycle racing oil up until last year tho! Envy you the warm weather too, I would love to drag the big bike out of storage and go for a run. April not too far away I guess.:devil2:
Lucas 20/50 I'll check it out! wanna make this baby purr

OH, boy way to open that can of worms again.
Everyone has their opinion, and it is an opinion, of what oil is best.
Follow what the manual says the bike needs.

No one type is correct.

The rating 10w-30, 10w40 and that it meets Kawi's requirements is more important than if its dino or synthetic, and what brand it is.
yea I guess I should've thought it through!

put in Shell Rotella T 15w40 you can get at Auto Zone or O'Reileys for summer and any 10w40 for when it's colder
thank you. that seems easiest. and Rotella is pretty good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This has been debated (fought over) a lot. And everybody has their own opinion.

I personally use amsoil.
Of course, things like this are always a hot debate.

I'm more or less so looking to see what everyone is using, I will pick from there. I'm OCD about making sure my things are taken care of.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,910 Posts
Of course, things like this are always a hot debate.

I'm more or less so looking to see what everyone is using, I will pick from there. I'm OCD about making sure my things are taken care of.
Btw, as long as your doing maintenance on your new bike, you should change the stuff in the radiator.

Will require taking the tank off, but that is SUPER easy.

And look over the clutch cable really well. A lot of people here seem keep breaking theirs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Btw, as long as your doing maintenance on your new bike, you should change the stuff in the radiator.

Will require taking the tank off, but that is SUPER easy.

And look over the clutch cable really well. A lot of people here seem keep breaking theirs.
I will lube the cable and definitely change RAD fluids, I like to change all fluids so that I can document the date/mileage and go from there. Easier to find problems and ensure regular intervals.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
First off, y'all don't want me anywhere NEAR a wrench! But as we speak, Mo' is with her mechanic, getting new brake fluid and a coolant flush & fill...oil was changed about 1000 miles ago...I know y'all are gonna consider me a slug, but I'd have to ask Gabe what he puts in Mo'...but that's how much I trust him. Oh, and she's getting new Tsukayu Jumbo Strong hard bags installed while she's at "the spa"! Wish I could wrench, but alas I'm mechanically inept...in a LARGE way...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Lol, not "sluggish", just practical application of experience. Nearest dealer to me is 2.5 hrs, so necessity being the mother of invention... I did order some of the Kawi special tools, like the bearing puller and the belt tension tester for my general maintenance. The ONLY time I ever sent my bike to a Kawi shop for an oil change it came back vibrating and shaking and spitting oil out of every hole. The young apprentice had severely over-filled the bike because he didn't understand the semi-dry sump dipstick process that Kawi blessed us with lol. Oil changes are relatively straight forward, but changing that damn rear spark plug $#%^*(^%!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts