Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just bought a VN900 Custom and we will be customizing this bike. So we are wanting to get some suggestions on lowering the rear of the bike. Does anyone here have experience with this? I see there's a few companies making them, so which are the best and why, who makes the lowest drop? We are not going to make a lowering kit, just want to buy one for our bike.

Thanks for your help!

LM

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone lower their 900? I've seen the lower dog bones has anyone bought them. Or is their different springs. Any info would be great.

LM

·
Registered
245 Posts
As far as i know only 2 companies offer lowering kits, Scootworks and Britt. Both are pretty much the same and they both cost around the same. The Scootworks one takes a while to get shipped and customer service sucks from what I have heard.

·
Registered
742 Posts
i got the britt... installation was pretty easy for the most part, here's my thread that i started when i installed it:
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11586

as you can read, i had complaints... although i got it pretty fast and installation was longer than needed to be because i took everything off... people say you do not need to do that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
scootworks

i installed the scootworks lowering kit on my bike. it was very easy to install and is adjustable. the only problem is it took forever to receive it. (3 weeks) took anly about 45 mins to install. so far i really like it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too have the Scootworks kit. It took 4.5 months to receive mine. Installed in less than an hour. It is now lowered 2 inches and ready for storage.:cool:

I have some side by side pics of a stock 900 and mine (avon 230 rear tire and 2 inch drop).

·
Registered
123 Posts
I too have the Scootworks kit. It took 4.5 months to receive mine. Installed in less than an hour. It is now lowered 2 inches and ready for storage.:cool:

I have some side by side pics of a stock 900 and mine (avon 230 rear tire and 2 inch drop).
Have you ridden 2 up with the tire and drop?

And do you have problems scraping your pipes?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven't scraped my pipes, but I do scrape my pegs a little easier now. I haven't had a chance to ride 2 up (too cold for the wife) but don't think it'll be a problem.

Note the avon 230 tire actually raises the bike about an inch over the stock tire, so after all is said and done, the bike is actually only 1 inch lower.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah I have the Avon 200 and was just wondering about scraping. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We just order from Scoot works, they had in stock and it dropped the bike 3", where Barons and Britt only offered 2" drop. On top of that Scootworks was much more affordable.

When we install it we will take pictures with our new Chin Radiator Shroud and Reaper front fender.

Thanks for your help.
LM

·
Registered
742 Posts
We just order from Scoot works, they had in stock and it dropped the bike 3", where Barons and Britt only offered 2" drop. On top of that Scootworks was much more affordable.

When we install it we will take pictures with our new Chin Radiator Shroud and Reaper front fender.

Thanks for your help.
LM
Britt is a 2" or 3" drop so don't know where you are getting your information and as of the current prices today it is $10 more, but there is significant difference in wait time for getting the part... Scootworks takes forever.

http://www.meancycles.com/Home.asp?PartID=213183&AccCategoryID=2300&AccCategoryTypeID=0&BikeModelID=5764&ManufacturerID=0&BikeType=Cruiser&CompanyID=0

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Britt is a 2" or 3" drop so don't know where you are getting your information and as of the current prices today it is $10 more, but there is significant difference in wait time for getting the part... Scootworks takes forever.

http://www.meancycles.com/Home.asp?PartID=213183&AccCategoryID=2300&AccCategoryTypeID=0&BikeModelID=5764&ManufacturerID=0&BikeType=Cruiser&CompanyID=0
We called Britt just before ordering the Scootworks and they said they changed to just 1-2" and the price was $179. I asked them about the website, but they said it was wrong. So I ordered the Scootworks and they shipped today.

LM

·
Registered
742 Posts
We called Britt just before ordering the Scootworks and they said they changed to just 1-2" and the price was $179. I asked them about the website, but they said it was wrong. So I ordered the Scootworks and they shipped today.

LM
sure, if you buy it directly from Britt maybe that is the case... the manufacturer always charges more than a 3rd party. but if you call meancycles you'll find out they still have the 2"/3" kit available for only $10 more...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sure, if you buy it directly from Britt maybe that is the case... the manufacturer always charges more than a 3rd party. but if you call meancycles you'll find out they still have the 2"/3" kit available for only $10 more...
I should of called Mean Cycles, they are great people over there.

LM

·
Registered
245 Posts
dont mean to thread jack but didnt want to start a new thread, and cosidering my ? is topic related i figured itd be a nice place to ask.

how difficult is the install of a lowering kit, what all has to be removed?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Its not that difficult. Took me about an hour on my own. instructions

ps. although the instructions don't mention it, there is a cross bar on the bottom that links the left and right side of the frame. Remove that and the tie-rod will drop. I couldn't remove the tie-rod without removiing that bar.

·
Registered
742 Posts
dont mean to thread jack but didnt want to start a new thread, and cosidering my ? is topic related i figured itd be a nice place to ask.

agree with whitestar...
you do not have to remove the rear tire, but it does allow access to everything. very easy to do.

·
Vendor
4 Posts
We have just bought a VN900 Custom and we will be customizing this bike. So we are wanting to get some suggestions on lowering the rear of the bike. Does anyone here have experience with this? I see there's a few companies making them, so which are the best and why, who makes the lowest drop? We are not going to make a lowering kit, just want to buy one for our bike.

Thanks for your help!

LM

Let me know when you have the parts available so .I can stock them.
Take care Chris.
JC

1 - 18 of 18 Posts