·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bike: 2008 VN900 Custom
Exhaust : Cobra Speedster.
ECU : Reprogrammed by Ivan's Performance
Intake : Stock

I am thinking that with the ECU and exhaust already done, I should get some more air into this engine and take advantage of what I have.

Are there any notable differences between the different intake upgrades on the market?
Any advantages of one over the other?
Any specific concerns?

This is what I have found:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baron's Big Air Kit
https://baronscustom.com/catalog/display/994/index.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cobra PowerFlo:
PowrFlo Air Intake System | Accessories | Cobra USA
Cobra Air Intake
Air Intake Swept Chrome | PowrFlo Air Intake Systems | Motorcycle Accessories | Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (07-13) | Cobra USA

There might be others, I am not sure.
I have read a bunch of threads on here but I cannot tell the difference. Other than the shape of the housings, and whatever price differences there are month to month, they look to be about the same to me. (For all I know, I could machine out the stock intake a bit and achieve the same result. Bigger hole = More air.)

1. I do not want to add more noise than necessary. I know it will be louder than stock, but if the performance is about the same, I will take the quieter one.

2. Quality of product? Is any one built better than the other?

3. Anything else I should know?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bike: 2008 VN900 Custom

Exhaust : Cobra Speedster.

ECU : Reprogrammed by Ivan's Performance

Intake : Stock

I am thinking that with the ECU and exhaust already done, I should get some more air into this engine and take advantage of what I have.

Are there any notable differences between the different intake upgrades on the market?

Any advantages of one over the other?

Any specific concerns?

This is what I have found:

Baron's Big Air Kit

https://baronscustom.com/catalog/display/994/index.html

Cobra PowerFlo:

PowrFlo Air Intake System | Accessories | Cobra USA

Cobra Air Intake

Air Intake Swept Chrome | PowrFlo Air Intake Systems | Motorcycle Accessories | Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (07-13) | Cobra USA

There might be others, I am not sure.

I have read a bunch of threads on here but I cannot tell the difference. Other than the shape of the housings, and whatever price differences there are month to month, they look to be about the same to me. (For all I know, I could machine out the stock intake a bit and achieve the same result. Bigger hole = More air.)

1. I do not want to add more noise than necessary. I know it will be louder than stock, but if the performance is about the same, I will take the quieter one.

2. Quality of product? Is any one built better than the other?

3. Anything else I should know?

I bought mine, 09 custom, with the big 3 mods already complete. I have a Cobra powerflo and I haven't had any problems with it. It looks good on the bike as well. From following the threads I feel like a lot of guys are running with the Powerflo with a main reasoning being the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think you will need to get your ecu re done (unless you had him do it for modified intake when you first had it done)

Been told he doesn't charge for a re program like you would be after but just means your bike will be out of action while it's done

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
i ran a hyper- charger on mine .... along with a cobra power pro auto tuner .... reads the fuel / air mixture at 80 times a second for maximum results .... they aint the cheapest but they do the job properly.

there is a hyper - charger install pictorial in my "albums " on my home page ... the power pro auto tune tailors the fuel / air mixture for your bike .... regardless of what ever pipes / air cleaner you may install.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I have the Cobra powerflo. So far no problems and I think it looks great. I like the low profile of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Barons BAK(Big Air Kit), first mod I did on the Vulcan 900. Sounds a bit louder and added pep to it. Added the Vance and Hines twin slash cut and PCV and it changed the whole ride on the bike. Makes me want to go go go. The Barons kit is a plus as it sits more flush and does not obstruct your leg when riding

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm running practically the same as Ricky81, V&H staggered slash and Baron's BAK....I'm running them with the Cobra Powr Pro Black....I love the set up! I installed everything at once and I'm not sure compared to others, but you certainly hear the throttle a bit more...but it's not a bad sound. Looks wise, I like it the best, just as stated, it doesn't get in the way, plus it's not this huge piece, and it keeps a very clean stock look.

My only complaint with the Baron BAK is with oil dripping out and spattering on the side of the bike....there's diy's on fixing it which aren't hard at all. I haven't done it yet...saving it for the winter. It's just rerouting a hose a different way....but it's so minimal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm running practically the same as Ricky81, V&H staggered slash and Baron's BAK....I'm running them with the Cobra Powr Pro Black....I love the set up! I installed everything at once and I'm not sure compared to others, but you certainly hear the throttle a bit more...but it's not a bad sound. Looks wise, I like it the best, just as stated, it doesn't get in the way, plus it's not this huge piece, and it keeps a very clean stock look.

My only complaint with the Baron BAK is with oil dripping out and spattering on the side of the bike....there's diy's on fixing it which aren't hard at all. I haven't done it yet...saving it for the winter. It's just rerouting a hose a different way....but it's so minimal.

I agree with the dripping. I had a chance to clean and re-oil the air filter. Once the engine warms enough it started dripping down everywhere and on the exhaust. Lesson learned. Going to look for that DIY you speak of

1 - 8 of 8 Posts