Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what helmets others are using when they're out on their 1700. If anyone has pics of themselves while using it would be appreciated. I'm looking to possibly replace mine and I want a full face that will look good with the bike. Preferably with a slide down sun shield and of course, best functionality.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Also wanted an internal sun visor, got an AGV, upgraded to a Shoei GT-Air, never going to own anything cheaper. If you want full face and internal sun visor, go straight to the Shoei GT-Air.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I use a Roof Desmo modular. Love it for it's versatility. ECE rated so not sure if it is legal in the States but good up here in Canada. Ordered it thru Burn out Italy arrived in a week and pretty reasonable pricing. Shark Evoline is another I considered as both that and the roof flip fully back to ride open or closed. My 2 cents. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've been in the market for a new helmet as well. I've been researching this, almost daily, for about a month now. I never knew there was so many makes and models of helmets being produced. Some great, some good, and some I wouldn't wear to a halloween party. Remember, more expensive doesn't always mean better. Before you start shopping, figure out your head shape and size. Actually measure your head. Many of the helmet manufacturer sites explain how to do this. Don't just go by what you've previously worn or what feels comfy on your face when you try it on. A helmet that fits the top of your head correctly may not always fit your face. You may have to change cheek pads.

Once you got your shape down, use this site to get an idea of which models will fit your head. This will help narrow the field down right away.

Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

This site will help with reviews and safety ratings.

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/

Revzilla has great reviews and breakdown videos.

https://www.revzilla.com/

Before you buy, test fit the helmet for 15 minutes or so to see if it has any hot spots. Good luck.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a Shoei GT-Air (Wanderer): https://www.shoei-helmets.com/helmets/gt-air.html
It is white with a red/black stripes.
I love this helmet.
The fit is just perfect. (for my head, at least.)

I tried on a number of different helmets. I went back to the store 5 or six times and tried them on so that I could "reset" my impressions about them. I had narrowed it down to two helmets. This one was substantially more expensive but in the end, there was no option. It was simply better .
I am saving my pennies now to get a SENA 10-u internal bluetooth setup for it: https://www.sena.com/product/10u/

I have not hooked up the pinlock shield that came in the box yet. I need to get around to that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A few years back I spent a lot of time (weeks) researching the best helmet for the money, not just the most expensive or most features but something that would give me the best bang for the buck. What I ended up buying was a Scorpion EXO-1000/1100 which has now been superseded by the EXO-T series. It offered both DOT and Snell foundation endorsements, an internal dropdown visor that can be swapped with different shades, outstanding ventilation and light weight. I bought mine with a Photochromic outer shield that worked like Transitions glasses and would be clear at night and auto dim in the sun. It was and still is by far the best helmet I have ever owned. It ran me about $320 when I bought it but you can get brand new ones online for around $200-250.

Scorpion EXO-1000 Motorcycle Helmet Review | Rider Magazine Gear | Rider Magazine

·
Registered
99 Posts
HJC modular full face. Best of both worlds. I like the full face feeling and protection, but it get very hot here in the south and when you are stuck at a light or on the freeway waiting for traffic it is nice to flip the front up and get some air.

Mine has the flip down sun visor as well. A must have on all my future helmets.

Toying with the idea of getting a 3/4 hemet due to the hot summer, but I have always ridden full face and I would probably feel naked. (same feeling when I ride without my riding armor...)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also wanted an internal sun visor, got an AGV, upgraded to a Shoei GT-Air, never going to own anything cheaper. If you want full face and internal sun visor, go straight to the Shoei GT-Air.
That's what I have that I'm looking to replace. It is a great helmet, but I was looking for one that I thought fit the style of my bike a little better. I ended up going with the Scorpion EXO-T1200. It's very nice, although not as comfortable as the Shoei. It's also very loud, but I wear ear plugs with it and it's fine.

Much lighter than the Shoei, but doesn't have the same comfort and has a little less visibility on head checks than the Shoei, but not a big deal. Air flow is about equal, although it's a little more evenly distributed through the Scorpion. Looks awesome, feels great. I may end up going back to the Shoei, just for comforts sake, but I'm going to use the Scorpion for a while first.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Finally settled on a helmet. Arai Signet-Q Pro Tour. Just got it two days ago. Fits me like a plush comfy glove. The hi-viz yellow looks great and really stands out. Got it on clearance for $380.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My best Helmet is an Arai, but I wear an ICON Airmada the most.
The Airmada does not have the performance the Arai does, but you do not need that if you are riding under 100 mph.
Over 100 mph I recommend the Arai.
I wear ear plugs with my ICON Airmada because it does have some wind noise to deal with.
Happy with both.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts