Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Howdy gents,

I'm told the stock air intakes choke the bike a bit.

Any suggestions on a replacement?
Well, yes, but that's a bit of a simplification. The air system is restrictive, but so is the fuel and exhaust on these bikes when they are stock to 1) meet EPA standards and ) strike a balance between economy and performance. So what you have is a system that tends toward the lean side but is balanced. It is made to carry you down the road at 70 MPH all day long and get 40-50 MPG. You can open up the air, but you also then must rejet and get some open pipes and get rid of the catalytic converter. Opening up the air without adding more fuel and a higher exhaust velocity will make your engine run too lean and likely fry it.

Be advised that if you do make these changes, your mileage will likely drop considerably, somewhere around 10-15 MPG. When I did my mods, I went from almost 50 MPG to 36. I have since fiddled around with it and found the right combination of jets for my altitude, geography, humidity and riding style. I have managed now to get it back to around 45 MPG. But it took a lot of trial and error- a LOT of it. I'll bet I've taken this thing apart and swapped out jets at least 7 or 8 times before finding the right setup, and believe me, it's a royal pain in the keister. And to be honest, the horsepower gain was negligible when you stack it up against the cost of the mods- $400 for pipes, $269 for the air kit, 80 dollars for a carb jet and rebuild kit. If i had it to dio all over again, I'd probably just leave it alone. Actually. if I had it to do all over again, I'd have bought a FI bike and then left it alone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Stock

1997 no catalytic converter, but carborated. You can get way cooler sound with a aftermarket air filter - but what he said is correct. See Above post!!!

:smile2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks so much sir,

I've upgraded the pipes to some MAC Performance "Fat Sakkers". Not straight pipes but much better than the ones it came with (not stock).

It sounds like you've been around a wrench and this bike a while.

I think I'll leave the stock intakes, and have a shop rejet to fit.

I haven't ridden in 30 years and got this bike for $500. No real desire to do 100 MPH. My intention is back county Texas roads to small towns claiming great BBQ.

Appreciate ya.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Poster has changed exhaust but looks like a resonator not a cat. Any else know for sure???
Kawasaki motorcycle parts list for their cruisers, do not refer to any of their bike exhaust as catalytic converters, they are pre exhaust chambers.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Kawasaki motorcycle parts list for their cruisers, do not refer to any of their bike exhaust as catalytic converters, they are pre exhaust chambers.
Interesting. Thanks for clearing that up. The mechanic at the local Kaw shop kept calling it a cat converter, so that's what I assumed it was. I should have known he was wong based on my past experiences with some of the new shop mechanics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts