Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a KISAN headlight Modulator for my 900C and have been running it for a couple of weeks now. I have to say right off the bat that I don't work for these people and this is just a personal observation. I have been riding for abou 50 years in total (which doesn't make me any kind of authority, it just makes me old) and have worked in both metric and Harley dealerships in the parts departments. I've seen and sold a lot of things but I've never been as impressed from a safety standpoint as I am with these units. For those of you not familiar with the modulators they are a "plug & play" device that goes in line between the headlamp socket and the bulb itself. They cause the High Beam to "wink" several times per minute to attract the attention of oncoming car drivers. One of the major causes of car/bike accidents is people saying they didn't see the bike and they pull out or turn in front of it. This device commands the attention of the oncoming driver causing them to "see what it is" and giving them the ability to recognize it is a bike and make a better time/space/speed decision. You can't make everyone a careful driver but this does give us an edge in todays crowded road conditions and distracted driver situations.
Sorry this got so long winded but if this keeps someone from getting clipped out there it was well worth it. RIDE SAFE !

·
Registered
658 Posts
I agree 100%. I recently installed a modulator and I can actually see drivers do a double take when they notice the light. Best investment I have made to the bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ya know, I too have seen these lights! They look goofy, and I noticed them before I even thought about purchasing a bike. But you know what after riding and seeing people pull out in front of me, goofy or not, I think that being seen is all that matters!

·
Registered
343 Posts
After still limping from 11-12-09,I have mine on all the time during the day along with running lights.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've had mine for 2 years and it does make a difference. I had stopped riding a few years cuz it's suicide in my area. I noticed that I get even more attention since installing the Phillips MotoVision bulb a few months ago.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I almost ran into a tahoe yesterday because the women "didnt see me." Like she cant see a 650 pound bike and big biker coming towards her. Get off the phone lady and pay attention and you might see me next time. I am DEFINATELY going to buy a modulator soon. Has anyone tried THIS modulator? They have a combo going right now get the headlight and brakelight modulator for $85.00. Was wondering if anyone has any info about this vs say a Kriss or a Kisan. Should all work the same eh?

·
Registered
976 Posts
That's the one I have, they didn't have the special when I bought mine but my brake light is modulated as well.

The only problem I have with my modulator is the number of people that I have 'pulled over' with it. It's nice to know they saw me, it's un-fortunate that because they thought I was a police bike until I passed that now they are upset with me. I also get told I have a light problem several times a month. I tell them it's a high visibility device so I don't get accidentally run into and they usually say it works, though one said it was 'damned irritating'. Him I told, 'so is having a car turn in front of you because they don't see motorcycles' which he said 'I see your point'. But there have been a couple of nasty looks as I go flying by. Sometimes though I think they're just happy they're not getting a ticket.

·
Registered
148 Posts
haha MrClean, its not funny, but it is too. Id rather them think im a police officer than think im not there. So you would recomend them? Is our headlight bulbs an H4? was it hard to install?

Thanks for your time and help. Stay safe "officer" :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am DEFINATELY going to buy a modulator soon. Has anyone tried THIS modulator? They have a combo going right now get the headlight and brakelight modulator for $85.00. Was wondering if anyone has any info about this vs say a Kriss or a Kisan. Should all work the same eh?
I bought this combo and have no regrets plus it's easy to install. The headlight modulator did however stop working a couple weeks after installing it. Contacted the company, sent it back, they sent a replacement and no problems whatsever since receiving that unit.

I will never own another bike that doesn't have a headlight and brakelight modulator system installed. Anything that will help one get noticed is a must have in my book.

Skeeter

·
Registered
658 Posts
I almost ran into a tahoe yesterday because the women "didnt see me." Like she cant see a 650 pound bike and big biker coming towards her. Get off the phone lady and pay attention and you might see me next time. I am DEFINATELY going to buy a modulator soon. Has anyone tried THIS modulator? They have a combo going right now get the headlight and brakelight modulator for $85.00. Was wondering if anyone has any info about this vs say a Kriss or a Kisan. Should all work the same eh?
That is the one I have. Works great easy install.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Install is extremely hard. Remove the headlight, unplug, plug the OEM plug to the adapter and the adapter to the headlight, run the light sensor out the back of the headlight bell and replace the headlight. zip tie the sensor to the accelerator cables pointing skyward.

Oh wait, that was easy. Did I say install is extremely hard? Change that to easy, really easy. Well, you do have to take two screws out of the headlight bell and put them back in.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Are these modulators legal in all states (I am in NY, how do I find out?)

Has anyone had an issue about this with the "authorities"? :eek:
:D

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Yes, they are federally accepted and legal in all 50 states and Canada
I put an HID unit on my800 and cannot use one of these. Not sure I understand how the HID works but it is not "modulatable"

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have seen light bars modulated (right and left lights alternate). I plan to install a light bar on my classic lt soon. Anybody got a line on modulators for the Cobra light bar?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Are these modulators legal in all states (I am in NY, how do I find out?)

Has anyone had an issue about this with the "authorities"? :eek:
:D
I am also in NY. I have heard that a modulator is legal and I have heard that it is illegal. I cannot find the actual VTL stating that it is illegal.

I asked a PO friend and was told that no officer will ticket you for using the modulator as they understand that it is a safety tool. That said I pass Highway Units on my way to work every day and I have not been pulled over (knock on wood).

wish I had more concrete info...

·
Registered
107 Posts
When driving my car I've found that they acutally distract me and actully piss me off with a blinding flashing light in my rear view mirror. I actually had to slam on my brakes once because of a biker moron tailgating me with his flashy thing in my mirror. He almost ate some rear bumper.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The headlight modulator is legal in all states but not at night. I have the Kisan unit along with the Wagner 80/100w bulb. Works great.

I also converted the rear turn signals to running/brake lights with the Kisan SM-3. I get a couple of flashes out of the rear brake lights and automatic turn signal cancellation.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The headlight modulator is legal in all states but not at night. I have the Kisan unit along with the Wagner 80/100w bulb. Works great.

I also converted the rear turn signals to running/brake lights with the Kisan SM-3. I get a couple of flashes out of the rear brake lights and automatic turn signal cancellation.
good point about the modulator at night. the unit I have uses a sensor that turns the modulator off at night or when going through a tunnel. You can also turn the modulation off by switching to low beam.

·
Registered
658 Posts
When driving my car I've found that they acutally distract me and actully piss me off with a blinding flashing light in my rear view mirror. I actually had to slam on my brakes once because of a biker moron tailgating me with his flashy thing in my mirror. He almost ate some rear bumper.
You ride and you almost make another rider eat your bumper? Moron or not that is not good road karma...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts