Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, I took a spill about a month ago. I was finally able to ride the bike more then a few miles yesterday. Put about 30 miles on it. During my ride, I noticed that bar didn't feel quite right. When I got back home, I made sure the wheel was straight and sat on the bike. Sure enough the bar was bent, but I could not see that it was bent, only feel it. It does not feel like much of a bend, maybe less then a 1/4" Anyway, my question is, how hard it is to change handlebars and does anyone has a stock 900 Classic bar for sale?

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Changing bars is easy. Especially if you are doing a direct swap of classic bars to classic bars. I don't have a classic, but I do have the stock custom bars available if you want to change the look of your bike some. Nothing to change. Take the risers and bars off, move the controls to the custom bars and bolt them up. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
bent bars

seriously, make sure they are bent. if you cant tell, go to a guy who rides and have him look. line the bars up with objects around the bike, look carefully. grab a square and check properly. if they feel bent, it is probably your axle and your wheel is twisted. a bike rides straight no matter how bent the handlebars are. they are not what keeps the bike straight. you are what does that.
ever bring a dirtbike in with NO handlebars. it happens.

true story.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
I really cannot remember right now if I still have my Classic bars or not. I may have sold them. I will check tonight and get back to you, if you are still interested. But if you ask me this would be a perfect time for you to put some taller bars on to help relieve your back pain some.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really cannot remember right now if I still have my Classic bars or not. I may have sold them. I will check tonight and get back to you, if you are still interested. But if you ask me this would be a perfect time for you to put some taller bars on to help relieve your back pain some.
That would be great if you have them, but don't go crazy looking for them if you don't. I am going to take it to the dealer and have them inspect it just to make sure it is not something worse.

As for back pain; I think I have that figured out. With the risers and forcing myself to sit up, I have not had any pain in awhile. I kinda like the looks of the stock bars. If I were to go with a different set of bars, what would you suggest?

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
That would be great if you have them, but don't go crazy looking for them if you don't. I am going to take it to the dealer and have them inspect it just to make sure it is not something worse.

As for back pain; I think I have that figured out. With the risers and forcing myself to sit up, I have not had any pain in awhile. I kinda like the looks of the stock bars. If I were to go with a different set of bars, what would you suggest?

The 8" mini apes I have now are of the buckhorn style and the handles drop down slightly. While they are comfortable, I am contemplating going up to 10" bars like these (see link). Those are unavailable at Amazon right now. But I can find them elsewhere I am sure. I have all new stainless braided cables and brake liens to go ahead and go taller when I decide to. And I want to run the wiring through the bar to clean it up. I just recently put taller bars on my Glide similar to those and really like the hand and arm positioning. Time will tell tho, My hand and specifically my right thumb were going numb this last weekend on the Glide. Put on over 300 miles that day, fatigue was setting in bad. I have the BrakeAway throttle lock on my Vulcan. Love Love Love that thing. Can't get one for my older glide tho, bummed!

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Everyone is different and what works for some may not work for you. For me personally having my hands just below shoulder height is more comfortable than stock height on any bike (unless it comes with 12" apes from the factory like the Victory High Ball). I have 12" bars on my custom with 5" risers with 1" pullback on the risers. That's 17" of rise total from the tree. And my hands are still below shoulder height.

I know from past experience with taller bars that my hands going to sleep ended when I went with taller bars. Throttle locks or cruise control is great for right hand fatigue while riding. That way you can rest each hand individually or both at the same time if you're brave.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have 8" apes on my Sportster. I had to get used to them but I like it. Reminds me of my youth riding "Stingray" bicycles around.

I always have to take my bars off the see if they are bent. I lay them on a flat surface and see how much they rock back and forth.

I'm still getting to know my 900. I noticed my top triple clamp is pointing to the right slightly while going straight down the road. I found a video on you tube where a guy shows you how to realign your front forks.

First, get the rear wheel off the ground. Basically, you loosen the top crown nut. Then you loosen everything below the top triple clamp. I mean everything. Bottom triple clamp, axle, fender, wind shield,...anything that joins the two clamps. Notice I said loosen, not remove. Keep the top triple clamp tight.

Then you get on the bike putting your weight forward, pushing down on the front forks. You kind of pump it a few times. You may have to do this a time or two till everything lines up again.

Front forks are clamped, not bolted together. The reason for this is that if we hit a pot hole or take a spill, the fork tubes would almost always get bent if bolted. This way, the front suspension can give some and it can easily be reset.

The previous owner admitted to having a minor accident involving the front end. So I'm going to give this a try and then check my bars.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I forgot to mention. If you have a little mishap and you think the handle bars got tweaked, loosen, then re tighten the risers. Any bike that has bolt on risers can get that way. You think the handlebars got tweaked but in reality, the risers have shifted just a bit. This is especially true with rubber mounted risers.

I loosened my risers. The left one was off a good bit. I lined up the handle bars and cinched them down. Nice and straight.

The bars can also go left or right in the riser clamps. Loosen and move the bars back and forth to center them.

As a follow up, I went out and tried the procedure for making the front forks track straight again. It Worked ! My wheel was cocked to the left making me have to turn the bars to the right a few degrees. The bike tracks a lot better now.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the ideas guys. I did loosen and try to move the risers (mine are not rubber mounted) and it made no difference. I am unsure of going with taller bars till I am able to try some out. Everyone that I personally know that rides all have stock bars with risers. As the bike sits now with 2" risers (over stock) and stock bars, I find it pretty comfortable for the most part although I have been thinking about doing away with the pull back and just going with spacers under the risers. How tall can I go with the risers and still keep stock cables and lines? I have more leg pain then anything else and hopefully the new pegs take care of that.

Again sorry for the newb questions, just trying to get this right.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have 8" apes on my Sportster. I had to get used to them but I like it. Reminds me of my youth riding "Stingray" bicycles around.

I always have to take my bars off the see if they are bent. I lay them on a flat surface and see how much they rock back and forth.

I'm still getting to know my 900. I noticed my top triple clamp is pointing to the right slightly while going straight down the road. I found a video on you tube where a guy shows you how to realign your front forks.

First, get the rear wheel off the ground. Basically, you loosen the top crown nut. Then you loosen everything below the top triple clamp. I mean everything. Bottom triple clamp, axle, fender, wind shield,...anything that joins the two clamps. Notice I said loosen, not remove. Keep the top triple clamp tight.

Then you get on the bike putting your weight forward, pushing down on the front forks. You kind of pump it a few times. You may have to do this a time or two till everything lines up again.

Front forks are clamped, not bolted together. The reason for this is that if we hit a pot hole or take a spill, the fork tubes would almost always get bent if bolted. This way, the front suspension can give some and it can easily be reset.

The previous owner admitted to having a minor accident involving the front end. So I'm going to give this a try and then check my bars.

Good info... Mine seems to be pointed slightly to the left and my handling has been sketchy since I noticed. I'll definitely be looking into this.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't think Vulcan's have rubber mounted risers. My 900 is just solid mounted. I took the rubber ones off my Sportster and went with hard plastic urethane.

If you like the bars, then taller risers are a great way to go.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:
I picked my bike up from my dealer today. They had it just over a week. I'm not complaining as it has rained most of the week here. Anyway, the bar was bent on the left both down and in. They also realigned the front wheel as it was a bit off also. Since it needed a new bar, I had them install Kuryakyn grips. Took it for about a 25-30 mile ride and everything seemed ok. The dealer even got the bar set to where I had it before. Should be good to go.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
331 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have risers. I have the Scootworks Phat Risers I on my bike.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Glad to see you got it all figured out. How you liking the Kuryakyn grips? I had a set on my old 800 that I took off and thought I had lost. Just found them yesterday and plan on sticking them on the bagger sometime this week.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad to see you got it all figured out. How you liking the Kuryakyn grips? I had a set on my old 800 that I took off and thought I had lost. Just found them yesterday and plan on sticking them on the bagger sometime this week.
I can't really comment on them yet as I only have 30 or so miles on them. It has rained everyday since I picked it up from the dealer so have not been able to ride (not crazy about riding in the rain if I can avoid it). I have a 125-150 mile ride planned for Saturday (if it doesn't rain) so that should give them a good try out.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I can't really comment on them yet as I only have 30 or so miles on them. It has rained everyday since I picked it up from the dealer so have not been able to ride (not crazy about riding in the rain if I can avoid it). I have a 125-150 mile ride planned for Saturday (if it doesn't rain) so that should give them a good try out.
It's rained every day this week here too. It doesn't seem to matter if the weather forecast says 20% chance of showers or 100%...if there's even the slightest chance, then it rains. I've been complaining about it quite a bit around the house, not only because I want to ride, but the rain causes me a lot of pain. My girlfriend texted this to me and told me "this is SO you" LOL

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It has rained here almost everyday for the last two weeks. It actually rained the morning of when I picked up the bike, but managed to get about a four hour window of no rain. The river through town here is at minor flood stage and still rising. They shut down an entire town about an hour west of here because of flooding. This has been an odd year so far for rain.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
It has rained here almost everyday for the last two weeks. It actually rained the morning of when I picked up the bike, but managed to get about a four hour window of no rain. The river through town here is at minor flood stage and still rising. They shut down an entire town about an hour west of here because of flooding.
That's crazy.
This has been an odd year so far for rain.
Yes, yes it has

1 - 20 of 20 Posts