Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 900 Classic.

I have read some things about the belt tightness on earlier models being too tight causing a bearing failure.

Has the factory spec been changed for 09? My bike has some whine at lower speeds 1st - 3rd. Is this a symptom?

I have a few hundred miles before the 600 check up. What do you think is the best way to approach this will the dealership?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have an 09 900 Classic.

I have read some things about the belt tightness on earlier models being too tight causing a bearing failure.

Has the factory spec been changed for 09? My bike has some whine at lower speeds 1st - 3rd. Is this a symptom?

I have a few hundred miles before the 600 check up. What do you think is the best way to approach this will the dealership?
I believe the factory spec was changed long ago, I picked up my 09 on Jan 2 09, had the same whine for the first couple of months and then the belt settles in and all is good. You will love it I am sure.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Many posts.......threads.......discussions..........on this forum and others......Generally seems 2 b shipping with belts tight....Many taking 2 dealer 2 loosen a bit....Many dealers say they know there is a prop and loosen right away....Some say no problem and leave....U can always loosen a bit and see if makes any diff.....There r mixed views on this....Or like Byte says just leave and see if works in......:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
There are also many posts on belts not running correct alignment on pulley right or left making noise rubbing the shoulder of the pulley. My 2009 was about perfect for adjustment but have seen posts that bikes needed both tension and alignment worked on. I'm still learning but more I learn about belt drives the more I realize they take time to adjust properly.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Mine has a sound like a have a bird chirping below my left thigh, is this the sound everyone is referring to?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a new 09 also. This is the 5th bike I've had with belt drive and it's way to tight in comparison to all of my other bikes.

I'm going to loosen it a bit at the 600 mile oil change my self.

I had a Victory with belt drive and it showed me how to check and adjust the belt in the owners manual.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Well there ya go........If is 2 tight.....Loosen a bit.....Thats the way 2 deal with it.....LOL.....Yup they sure did a overtighten job on them....4 sure.....:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an '09 custom and everything to seems to be running top notch, I can hear the belt ever so slightly when I'm cruising around town, but it doesn't chirp like a bird, more like a soft ticking.

There are specs for the amount of 'play' in the belt given a certain amount of pressure applied.

If you are taking it to the dealer, they can check those sorts of things pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I have the same phenomenon happening with my bike. It doesn't sound like a grinding noise like you would hear from a break hanging up, or for that matter, like the belt. I would think the belt would whine more if out of alignment. It will disappear as I slow down, but remains if I put on the brake or put the clutch in. Driving me nuts....I'm about to change his name from Angus Magee to Bluebird, but he just doesn't look or sound like a songbird..........:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am having a unbearable loud whine at 60 mph, Its so bad I have to ride at 55 or 65. took it to the dealership and they told me it was normal and sent me on my way:mad:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Take the slack out of the belt and then tighten it up just a bit more. Adjust it so that the belt just kisses the outside flange of the pulley. If it hits the flange too much it will make noise at low speeds when it gets dirty (mine). But just right and it won't make any noise. The belt noise at high speed should be from the belt being too tight and should sound a little coggy too. In any case I think 10 minutes of adjustment time are in order for you and the noise should go away. I've only noticed belt squeak at low speed. Remember, the book says (and its too tight) that with 10 pounds of pressure in the middle of the belt (most folks tend to push too close to the rear) you should get between 1.5 and 4 mm of movement in the window for a used belt. I have a bit more. A too tight belt will just be noisy and stretch a little sooner, could also be hard on the output bearings. Treat it like an oil fliter, take up the slack and then just give it a little tension.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts