Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the Scootwork Front OD pulley mod this weekend. I love the way the engine speed has changed and yes, my speedo is almost perfect now. I did learn one thing that I thought worth sharing. Maybe this is common knowlege to everyone but me. I found out that if you tension the belt while the bike is on the jack and the rear wheel is hanging in air, the belt will get MUCH TIGHTER when you put her on the ground.

Due to the swing arm's arc of motion, the rear wheel axle is actually closer to the front pulley axle when the shock is fully extended. This makes for a looser belt when the wheel is hanging in the air. But if you tighten the belt at this position, you end up with a belt that is over-tight at your normal riding position. The first time I test rode her, the belt squalled like a baby. I ended up backing it down about 3/4 of a notch (space between tightening marks) and she is much happier. Just thought I would pass this along.

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You will never live long enough to make them all yourself!":rolleyes:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Makes perfect sense, I am putting mine on later this week and have been trying to read all the tips I can find before I jumped in. This is one I haven't seen, thanks for the hint.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
With the Scootworks instructions, i believe they say the tension should be adjusted with someone sitting on the seat. No mean trick when you're doing it by yourself!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the Scootworks instructions, i believe they say the tension should be adjusted with someone sitting on the seat. No mean trick when you're doing it by yourself!
Yeah, I haven't yet figured out how I am supposed to sit on the bike to hold it level, be under the bike pushing up with a belt tension guage, and be behind the bike adjustig the tension bolts all at one time. :confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jeep, would it be wise to get that tension gauge? Or is it possible to adjust it without it, and where might I get one of these gauges. I have my pulley and want to install but afraid of not being able to get the belt and wheel aligned correctly. Thanks, Traumahawk :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
68 Posts
Jeep, would it be wise to get that tension gauge? Or is it possible to adjust it without it, and where might I get one of these gauges. I have my pulley and want to install but afraid of not being able to get the belt and wheel aligned correctly. Thanks, Traumahawk :)
The local Harley shop carried one in stock for $29.99. I hate waiting for things to ship.

Frank

·
Registered
156 Posts
I found out that if you tension the belt while the bike is on the jack and the rear wheel is hanging in air, the belt will get MUCH TIGHTER when you put her on the ground.
according to the service manual, the belt tension is supposed to be adjusted while the rear wheel is off the ground.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm not buying the scoots adjustment theory. Worst case quick look at swing arm pivot point looks to be without a load on the wheel. Somebody needs to disconnect the shock and measure. Service manual says 0.06-016" deflection @ 10# load w/wheels off the ground. The squeal is harmonics from the cogs and natural frequency of the aluminum pulley, and will go away by adjusting the belt to ride in a different area of the rear pulley.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts