Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone has a service manual that says how to check the belt tension. The darn Owners Manual refers you to your dealer :mad: . What's wrong with that picture. As if I couldn't do that myself. So if anyone has the service manual, can you please let me know what is says, how and where to check etc.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone has a service manual that says how to check the belt tension. The darn Owners Manual refers you to your dealer :mad: . What's wrong with that picture. As if I couldn't do that myself. So if anyone has the service manual, can you please let me know what is says, how and where to check etc.

Cheers

Chris
1. Jack the bike up

2. Using a belt tension tool, check tension just in front of the swingarm crosspipe. Apply 10 lbs upward pressure.

3. Measure the deflection in the belt cover window

4. Specified deflection is -1.5mm - 4 mm

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
1. Jack the bike up

2. Using a belt tension tool, check tension just in front of the swingarm crosspipe. Apply 10 lbs upward pressure.

3. Measure the deflection in the belt cover window

4. Specified deflection is -1.5mm - 4 mm
Hi Chris,
"Belt tension tool" Thai style. Broom stick, scissors jack from my Ford, 10# barbell weight and a socket to place between the bottom of the belt and broom stick. You can do the math LOL.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'd lean more towards the 4mm than the 1.5. IMHO, the belt is a little tight from the factory if you only get a 1.5mm deflection @ 10lbs.

Even Kawi's 300-dollar belt is cheaper to replace than the repairs you'll suffer if you run the belt overly tight....and (again JMHO) anything less than 4mm is a little snug for me.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Chris,
"Belt tension tool" Thai style. Broom stick, scissors jack from my Ford, 10# barbell weight and a socket to place between the bottom of the belt and broom stick. You can do the math LOL.
Hey, I like that idea. That is right up my alley. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd lean more towards the 4mm than the 1.5. IMHO, the belt is a little tight from the factory if you only get a 1.5mm deflection @ 10lbs.

Even Kawi's 300-dollar belt is cheaper to replace than the repairs you'll suffer if you run the belt overly tight....and (again JMHO) anything less than 4mm is a little snug for me.

Good Luck!
I agree with you. I am worried that the factory setting is a little on the tight side.

I still don't quite understand why KenDawg said to jack up the bike :confused: . All the bikes I have had with chains said to put the bike on the side stand (neutral weight) and check tension then. I would think that if you "jack up" the bike, the swing arm will go into tension just from gravity and no valuable reading could be achieved. Can someone clarify this for me please.

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
696 Posts
I agree with you. I am worried that the factory setting is a little on the tight side.

I still don't quite understand why KenDawg said to jack up the bike :confused: . All the bikes I have had with chains said to put the bike on the side stand (neutral weight) and check tension then. I would think that if you "jack up" the bike, the swing arm will go into tension just from gravity and no valuable reading could be achieved. Can someone clarify this for me please.

Thanks Chris
I have the service manual for 900 Classics for years 2006 to 2010. Page 2-27 says to jack up the bike to inspect the belt deflection. AFAICT, KenDawg gave an abbreviated version of the manual's procedure.

good riding :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the service manual for 900 Classics for years 2006 to 2010. Page 2-27 says to jack up the bike to inspect the belt deflection. AFAICT, KenDawg gave an abbreviated version of the manual's procedure.

good riding :)
Thanks Kerry,

I guess they (Kawasaki) should know what they are doing. It is still puzzling me though.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts