Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoiler : Clean the rear belt guide.

Vulcan 1700 classic, 2009 model, Squeaked pretty much since I got it. It had gotten bad in the last few months. I researched and read and worried. I am NOT mechanically inclined - I am a computer tech. I've change the oil a few times and put on the luggage rack... that's about my comfort limit on wrenching.

I finally had enough (and some time) over the Labor Day weekend, so I drowned the butterfiles in my stomach and went to attack the squeak.

I took the front drive gear (not sure what to call it) cover off and cleaned the outside edge, pushing the motorcycle backwards to expose more area I hadn't cleaned. Rode in a circle, still squeaked.

I took the rear guide off (little plastic bit covering the belt up) to get access to the rear belt guide, where it actually rubs. I started cleaning it... then realized that it comes off... unscrewed about six bolts and it came off (would have been easier if I'd removed the rear tire first, but my skills did not want to be tested that day). I cleaned the inside and outside of that little chromed circle, went through a dozen or so paper towels cleaning then drying off and making sure the cleaner was gone, then put it back on - with some loc-tite on the bolts so they won't vibrate out. Rode in a circle - no squeak. Rode a 20 mile round trip pizza run - no squeak. Rode 40 miles to work, into the echo-chamber parking garage - no squeak.

Plan is that every time I (have someone else) put a new rear tire on, take that guide off and clean it real good before the tire gets put back on.

Has that fixed it? No putting a washer on or adjusting the swing-arm or anything complicated like that? So far, so good. Better than any other attempted fix.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Over 400 miles and no return of the squeak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts