Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been chasing a belt noise in my V2k since the bike was new in 2008, I have 23,000 miles on it and the noise has been getting louder every year, I've tried everything known to man to shut the thing up with only temporary results, finally it got so loud I didn't want to ride the bike at all. I decided to get a new belt and be done with it, I put a 1 1/2" goodyear falcon belt on and rode up the street, the noise was still there, this noise has been there since the first ride in 2008 when the bike was new. The dealer told me this was normal, these bikes make all kinds of noise, don't worry about it. Well, I decided to go after the output shaft bearing as a last resort, I bought both case gaskets and a new bearing for both ends of the output shaft, after 9 hours I had the bike back together and took it for a ride. It was and still is quiet as a mouse, no noise at all, all the noises that came with the bike are gone, since the bearing replacement I have over 2000 miles on and it's still quiet. I am convinced that the bearing was bad from the start and the belt had little or no effect on the noise. The bearing behind the pulley was bad, the chrome on the outer race was all pitted, there was no metal in the oil or in the oil tank so I don't think the problem goes any deeper. The bike is for the first time since 2008 a real pleasure to ride.
Mrfix

·
Registered
41 Posts
keep us posted on this... I have a 2007 that drives me nuts and I have over 101 K miles on it. yes, 101K, what can I say I like to travel, but the belt noise has to go...

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've been chasing a belt noise in my V2k since the bike was new in 2008, I have 23,000 miles on it and the noise has been getting louder every year, I've tried everything known to man to shut the thing up with only temporary results, finally it got so loud I didn't want to ride the bike at all. I decided to get a new belt and be done with it, I put a 1 1/2" goodyear falcon belt on and rode up the street, the noise was still there, this noise has been there since the first ride in 2008 when the bike was new. The dealer told me this was normal, these bikes make all kinds of noise, don't worry about it. Well, I decided to go after the output shaft bearing as a last resort, I bought both case gaskets and a new bearing for both ends of the output shaft, after 9 hours I had the bike back together and took it for a ride. It was and still is quiet as a mouse, no noise at all, all the noises that came with the bike are gone, since the bearing replacement I have over 2000 miles on and it's still quiet. I am convinced that the bearing was bad from the start and the belt had little or no effect on the noise. The bearing behind the pulley was bad, the chrome on the outer race was all pitted, there was no metal in the oil or in the oil tank so I don't think the problem goes any deeper. The bike is for the first time since 2008 a real pleasure to ride.
Mrfix
Hey I am glad you finally cured it. Seems like pretty bad luck if you had faulty bearing from new.
Was the noise you had the same as belt noise? Did you ever spray belt with something like WD40 to see if noise temporarily went away? it should not have made any difference to noise if it was bearing noise.
The belt noise seems to be quite common, I too have had it and have all but eliminated it with adjustment and sanding edge of belt. If it comes back again I am gunna try an 1 1/2" belt as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey I am glad you finally cured it. Seems like pretty bad luck if you had faulty bearing from new.
Was the noise you had the same as belt noise? Did you ever spray belt with something like WD40 to see if noise temporarily went away? it should not have made any difference to noise if it was bearing noise.
The belt noise seems to be quite common, I too have had it and have all but eliminated it with adjustment and sanding edge of belt. If it comes back again I am gunna try an 1 1/2" belt as well.
My noise would change and almost go away for a short time when I made adjustments and cleaned the belt but always came back worst than the last time. All I can say is all the noises are gone now and don't seem to be coming back. The bearing on the pulley side of the output shaft had pitted plating on the outer race and since removed all is quiet, The noise the bearing made did not sound like a bearing, it sounded more like a noise that was in tune with the belt that's why I had so hard of a time identifying it.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mrfix - I am replacing every bearing and bushing on the frame this winter and also replacing the HLA's... Did you have to split the casings? or just lay on its side and pull from the right side? Looks like it has 3 bearings, 1 inside on right and 2 on outside of casing .. It would be worth the 100.00 extra just for this noise to go away, and even if it doesn't what could it hurt? I've got little over 101,000 miles on the bike... If the noise goes away I would have to keep twisting the throttle just to make sure it's still running ... lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mrfix - I am replacing every bearing and bushing on the frame this winter and also replacing the HLA's... Did you have to split the casings? or just lay on its side and pull from the right side? Looks like it has 3 bearings, 1 inside on right and 2 on outside of casing .. It would be worth the 100.00 extra just for this noise to go away, and even if it doesn't what could it hurt? I've got little over 101,000 miles on the bike... If the noise goes away I would have to keep twisting the throttle just to make sure it's still running ... lol
There are 2 bearings one on the pulley side and one the gear side of the shaft, the shaft comes out the right side and the left side bearing comes out the left side of the bike. There is a great write up on the net, I'll see if I can find the link and post it here. I had 2 new bearings case gaskets for both right side cases, the inner and outer cases, a seal and o-ring for the pulley side of the shaft, and a new lock washer for the pulley. The whole job took about 9 hours, the pipes need to come off and the right floor board, the oil and coolant need to be drained, the front pulley needs to come off then the right side cases need be removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts