Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the record, my 2010 Voyager at 70,867 miles started losing teeth. Rode 20 miles to nearest town and called wrecker. Dealer first said $1500 to change out belt and pulleys. then they did a follow up and called Mother Kaw and Kaw said if the pulleys look fine, don't replace them. Dropped price to $758.

Dealer said they have never had a Voyager with that many miles. My thinking is maybe they haven't sold many.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wonder if there were any warning signs on your belt/pulleys or tension problems prior to the failure. My manual has checking of the belt deflection, and inspection of the belt condition and pulley teeth every 6 thousand miles. No spec on changing the belt. It just so happened that at a little less than 6 thousand miles, I picked up a screw in the rear tire, so I had the dealer replace the tire and do all the required checks and inspections. I am now coming up on 12 thousand. I plan on doing all the checks and inspection myself.

So if you keep everything to spec, what is a realistic mileage to change the belt? Also, there has got to be some point where the pulley drive teeth are worn to much (ie. rounded off). I know now that at least when it comes to car drive belts, they are pretty much only changed when inspection calls for it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
$758 for belt... Ouch!!! Not hard to pull rear tire.
$758 was for belt and labor. I applaud those who have a talent of working on their bikes. I have caused more damage and cost myself more $$ trying to work on cars and bikes. I will change the oil, replace lights as needed and change filters. That's about all I can do without screwing something up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if there were any warning signs on your belt/pulleys or tension problems prior to the failure. My manual has checking of the belt deflection, and inspection of the belt condition and pulley teeth every 6 thousand miles.
I just had a rear tire put on 6000 miles ago. I normally ask them to check the belt every time they change a tire but I assume the dealership checks the belt when I forget. Maybe that's my bad.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just had my rear tire replaced. RacnRay did the job at his shop and I somewhat assisted. I like to stick my nose in and see how things are done. Removing the rear wheel alone is a bit of a task but feel comfortable doing it myself now after watching Ray. I cant imagine it taking that much longer to remove the belt and replace. My belt was tight as a banjo string from factory. Ray adjusted it for me when we replaced the wheel and now it moves a little more freely with additional deflection. The teeth looked perfect and I no longer hear this odd grinding / whining noise I previously heard durimg slow speeds. I will continue to monitor the belt at 6000 mile intervals. :nerd:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I just had my rear tire replaced. RacnRay did the job at his shop and I somewhat assisted. I like to stick my nose in and see how things are done. Removing the rear wheel alone is a bit of a task but feel comfortable doing it myself now after watching Ray. I cant imagine it taking that much longer to remove the belt and replace. My belt was tight as a banjo string from factory. Ray adjusted it for me when we replaced the wheel and now it moves a little more freely with additional deflection. The teeth looked perfect and I no longer hear this odd grinding / whining noise I previously heard durimg slow speeds. I will continue to monitor the belt at 6000 mile intervals. :nerd:
I believe you have to pull the swingarm to change the belt.

Good time to lube the bearings.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I used to do the swing arm service on my Vulcan 1500 classic. The swing arm had to be completely removed from the bike to get to the needle bearings in where the pivot bolt and spacer go. Cant be much more involved than that. :grin2:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi, I don't know about where you ride. I'm in South Ga. 'dirt road country'...I live a mile down a sandy dirt road dirt road. Counting the original equipment, I'm on my third set of pulleys and belts. Ma Kawi said the additional abrasiveness of the dirt/sand kicked up is what is eating my belts and pulleys.

I have yet to find a source for the front pulley outside of new from Kawi, for around $90-100, The rear pulley from Kawi is $500, I've found two of them from salvage yards for under $125 each. The price they gave you for the belt must have included installation, though Kawi does want over $400 for their belt. My local NAPA store cross referenced a Belt by Goodyear carbon fiber for just over $150.

I do the work myself, dealer is too expensive. I have just over 92,000 on my '09 VV now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've heard of folks making over 80,000 on these type of carbon fiber belts, the conditions they are subjected to certainly plays a large role. I had 30,000 miles on my VV when I had my first trouble. but I have a long dirt road to contend with

·
Registered
103 Posts
I believe you have to pull the swingarm to change the belt.

Good time to lube the bearings.
you not only have to remove the exhaust (both), saddle bags, rear wheel, swing-arm, and the transmission output pulley cover and front pulley in order to remove and change the belt, it is easily a 3 hour job

·
Registered
775 Posts
Stratoliner

I changed my belt & pulley on my Strato @ 90K and the belt is fine.

JJ :surprise:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've posted previously about my experience with the over-tight belt when I bought my Voyager, and how that cracked two thirds of the teeth almost right through on the belt, and chewed out both front & rear pulley.

The new set is better through not having the belt so tight, but it all still requires maintenance... While having a tire changed recently, I took the time to clean out the rear pulley using a small screwdriver and a Dremel with a small wire brush on it. It looked like some soft tar had been spread in there and hardened, slightly furring up one side of all the teeth on the belt.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Gates Polychain is a great belt. Way cheaper than factory. I installed one on a Road Star I had and never once had a problem. BTW...didn't change it because it was bad. Change due to gearing changes on the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts