Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When getting tires changed make sure and check to see weather the lock nuts are tight on the belt adjustment. Obviously the shop did not get the tight and 150 miles later when I poured on the throttle the wheel went crooked and belt came loose. After me and the wife wiped the poop out our pants I was so fuming mad ! Both the lock nut and the adjuster nut were missing. There is no way they were tight. Lucky we were not going down the interstate at 80 mph.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yikes! I had a similar experience. The rear caliper fell off while doing 70 on the freeway. Just lucky that it didn't bounce straight into the rotating wheel and lock it up before I got stopped. Needless to say, I won't be using that shop again to change the tires on my Voyager and I'll double check everything when I get it home.

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
When getting tires changed make sure and check to see weather the lock nuts are tight on the belt adjustment. Obviously the shop did not get the tight and 150 miles later when I poured on the throttle the wheel went crooked and belt came loose. After me and the wife wiped the poop out our pants I was so fuming mad ! Both the lock nut and the adjuster nut were missing. There is no way they were tight. Lucky we were not going down the interstate at 80 mph.

WOW! That's hard to believe that a shop could do that.
I hope you give them heck!!!!!!!!!!!:(

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
This kind of problem is just to common. I know there are some good dealers and mc shops out there but I have not found a local one yet.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The only time I let someone work on my bike is if there is a factory recall, warranty claim, or I am on a trip and need a tire. I think most of these new techs think that a torque wrench is something you use after you have tightened the snot out of a fastener just to hear the nice clicking noise.

Of course, in the OP case, the tech must not have access to a torque wrench.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only time I let someone work on my bike is if there is a factory recall, warranty claim, or I am on a trip and need a tire. I think most of these new techs think that a torque wrench is something you use after you have tightened the snot out of a fastener just to hear the nice clicking noise.

Obviously he did not.

·
Registered
34 Posts

You must have access to those high tech fancified torque wrenches I still use the old guage type torque wrench no clicking just watch the guage for your number. LOL

·
Registered
93 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts