Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found out the vulcan 800 I bought was converted to belt. I found this out because it broke, and I couldnt find the belt part number for a vulcan 800. Now, I think that generally speaking belt is better than chain, but is that the case with converting? would you suggest doing that? its in the shop now, and Ive had thoughts of having them convert back..my only experience with this belt was a break within 20 miles. are there good and bad kits? how could I tell what Ive got? is the torque too much for the transmission? curious as to if you guys/girls had any thoughts on this....

thanks!
~nrg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. informative video and brings up a good point. cost. its hard to imagine it could cost 350 to replace the belt? ill call and find out. I never really minded chains, im usually looking for an excuse to go out and do something on the bike anyway, usually japanese bikes dont give you much opportunity....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, im learning all about it today. but most importantly, the shop that (has been highly recommended by riders in the area) does not recommend another belt. on his recommendation Im going back to chain, all for 250.00. I have to agree. mucking with the engineering as designed is probably not the best course of action. also the tires are dry rotted, so theres 250.

its been a great, although expensive learning experience for me. I bought a bike on ebay without truly researching it, and the test ride was too short. I should have walked away. Its ok, I can be stupid once, not twice. Ill end up with a 3,000 800 with 17k miles, vance and hines exhaust, k&N air filter, new sprockets and chain, fully adjusted and inspected. its very clean so there's that. whatever. live and learn. thanks for all the help so far.

~nrg

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Be SURE and check the valves. If you are not comfortable doing that, have the shop do it.
If you neglect this item, you WILL be sorry.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll definitely let them know but I told them to go over the whole bike and I would think about would be part of that what do you think the proper price for a valve adjustment is

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I owned a 800 and it had a chain then I had it converted to a scootworks belt drive, I was on the highway and tried passing a truck and gave the bike throttle and snap, the belt broke, a tow home, there I installed a new belt called wide drive belt for 800 by scootworks, then one day leaving downtown coffee shop I gave it throttle to merge into traffic and snap, that belt broke, I installed another same belt then sold the bike and the new owner also gave it throttle and broke that belt I put on, so if you want my advice, dump the belt and convert back to chain, the belt is not dependable and you have to baby the throttle by not giving it too much throttle too quickly or the belt will break.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
belts gone and she rides good now. learned a lot about aftermarket chain to belt conversions: never do it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
never do it is correct, not a scootworks belt kit for an 800 because unless the belt is engineered and design tested for the Vulcan 800 or is factory installed belt drive like on newer bikes, putting a belt on an 800 is not recommended, I don't think the scootworks belts are strong enough, or the sprockets that come with the scootworks belt kits are the wrong sizes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts