Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my belt had a crack in it. I'm planning a road trip next week, and I've got a couple of questions:
1. Is it safe to road trip 200-300 miles with my belt in this condition?
2. Is it possible to find a belt for less than $400 if not?

As a side note, my bike makes the classic 900 "whining" sound that I'm afraid might be the stator from what I've read. Is that true, or might it be related to the belt?

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Wow... Looks like a rock got caught and tore the belt. Hard to say how long it will last, but at this point it's a ticking bomb. The belt has been breeched. I would replace as soon as possible. As for cost have not seen one for much less than $400.

Your whining could be either the stator or the belt, but it looks well aligned.

Sorry about your belt.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Replace that belt immediately!!

It does look like a rock got jammed in there while you were riding.

It may last on your road trip, but it would be good insurance (assurance too!) that you will have a much more enjoyable and safe trip by replacing before you go. I do not believe the belt will cause a whining noise based on the picture you put up.

Belts will squeal more than whine, and that is caused by slipping. Cogged belts do not slip by design, but can rub on the sidewall of the pulley. Yours does not appear to be doing his.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Like everybody else here, if I could predict the future I'd play the lottery but that belt is well compromised and past due no matter the cost.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I would hesitate to ride that to the dealer if it was more than a couple miles away. Get that replaced immediately, or your ride will become a long walk instead.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yup. Rock hole in the belt looks like mine "did"

Your's was a bit closer to the edge than mine is, ahhh was that is. It snapped today after a pre-driveway warm-up and then 5 mile "gotta get out of the house winter ride" today. Luckily it snapped just as I pulled into the driveway in an attempt to spin the rear tire in water puddle.

The hole happened two (2) summers ago and I put approx 15,000 miles on the belt before today's breakage. As many have stated before, I'd have changed the belt the summer I found the hole if not for the $$$ of a new belt and no "reasonable" aftermarket alternative to be found. But that's the price we pay for our belt driven toys I guess. If it were shaft drive it probably wouldn't have broken, ever. But if you break a shaft drive (even just the shaft and not the hub or gearing) I'm sure your at or above $400.

Better now than on a summer road trip huh? :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
This makes me want to check my belt now. You've gotten me paranoid. How long are the belts supposed to last with just usual wear?

·
Registered
95 Posts
handbook says check belt every 3,750m, and my dealer said belt has no max lifespan.

BMW state 25,000m per belt on its F800's.

that's the only info I have. My best guess would be 50,000m but it's only a guess. I think there are riders on here who have gone further than that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, multiple dealers have mention lifespans of 30-50k miles

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I have seen belts with almost 100,000 miles on them. I guess it depends on lots of things as to the longevity.
I had 38000 mile on my 900 when I sold it and it still looked strong. Should easily last 50,000. Is that $400 cost including installation? If so, I wouldn't think it would be too much work to drop the swing arm and install yourself.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
I'll be back in a little bit I'm going out to the garage to check my belt, otherwise I wont be able to sleep.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts