Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As previously posted, the belt on my 08 900 Custom snapped a few weeks ago. I wanted to know if it is really necessary to remove the shock (and the exhaust) along with the swingarm, or if there is any way around either of these? Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
As previously posted, the belt on my 08 900 Custom snapped a few weeks ago. I wanted to know if it is really necessary to remove the shock (and the exhaust) along with the swingarm, or if there is any way around either of these? Thanks.
The belt goes INSIDE the frame,so unless there is a master link in the belt, the arm has to come off to get it to the front pulley. he only way to gt the arm off is to take the shock off - if of course you value you digits that is.... The pipes have to go to pull the rear axle to start the whole process. Have fun!!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, neither are necessary. I needed to remove only the lower shock bolt and swing it away. Didn't need to touch the exhaust at all. Once I removed the cotter pin, being careful to not scratch the chrome (which was covered with a towel) and loosened the nut I began to push the axle, with nut still attached, out, which gave me more room to work the nut (using a 27mm open end wrench). Once everything was loose I was able to finagle the swingarm away from the frame just enough to slip the belt in. All in all the job was a bit easier than I expected, but still quite involved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts