Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Voyager. I bought it new 2 years ago, so this is my third summer for the bike. Ever since I’ve had it, it’s been making a noise from the belt every time I’ve slowed down. It’s been back to the dealer twice and they say there is nothing wrong with it. It now has 10,000 km on it. I just did the seasonal maintenance on it and I noticed the belt is not centred in the rear pulley. Might this cause the noise ? I do not have a belt tension gauge, so I will have to bring it to a shop to be adjusted, but don’t want to throw away money if there is nothing wrong. Here is a picture. What do you guys think? I haven’t seen a picture of another one so I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks. Sorry the picture loaded sideways.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey,
Yeah that is about the way my 2016 looks on the pulley it would take some serious fine tuning to get to where the belt will keep an even gap on both sides of the pulley. Take your sadle bags off and check to make sure your axle alignment marks are even on both sides. If you wanted you can find those spring scales pretty cheap on line to check your belt deflection you just apply 10lbs of pressure on the belt at the little window on the belt guard and I think the belt should deflect between the 2nd and 3rd lines in the window. The owners manual tells you how to check it. If you do need to adjust the belt it is not hard if have the tools and some mechanical skill. If not it is still worth having the spring scale so you don't pay the motorcycle shop to tell you it is good.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Are you sure the noise is coming from the belt?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Most likely the belt is too tight. The factory specs are what makes it noisy at slower speeds. Loosen it up until the noise goes away. My bike was in for the 15,000 mile service and they tightened the belt to the specs and my noise came back. I backed of on the tension an all is good again. The service techs have to use Kawasaki's specs so you will need to do this yourself or find an independent shop that will help you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure. It’s a whomp, whomp ,whomp ( for lack of a better word) noise at slow speeds. I don’t think it could be anything else.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My belt looks just like that, and it makes the same noises at low speed.
Yes, making it looser will quiet the noise, but then it feels like there is excessive lash, at least to me, it feels that way. A little belt noise for smoother operation is an acceptable trade, in my personal opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts