Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, So I've googled and searched the forum with out luck. I just put my rear tire back on, aligned everything correctly...but my belt keep riding to the inside of the front pulley. Everyone talks about the outside though. Am I missing something simple? I did the 230 rear install, and removed the motor for a gasket replacement. I have stock pulleys on the front and rear. When I set everything with the bike on the jack I have zero rub and everything aligns perfectly. But as soon as I start to spin the rear tire my belt migrates to the inside. Ive gone as far as loosening the motor back up to see if there is some issue there. But still nothing. The only time I got the belt to stay "centered" on the front pulley was when I cranked it down super tight. But when I go back to setting everything correctly the belt just drifts back to the inside and rub along the frame. Any advice?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would check to make sure you have your spacers in correctly

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked and they seem to be in correct. I have the large one on the belt side and the small on on the brake side. I did check the front pulley. No wobble but since I did pull the motor I wanted to make sure it wasnt something there. I know there isnt an adjustment or shimming for the motor but at this point I'm trying anything. I have a camber/caster tool for alignment on vehicles so i set it up on the front pulley. I said my motor was leaning to the right(if sitting on the bike). I'm thinking that would make the belt drift to the inside of the pulley maybe?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I havent pulled the motor or anything but when you replaced it did you maybe tighten the right side first causing the motor to "lean" that way? Maybe loosen it up and tighten the left side first then the right and see if that helps

·
Registered
370 Posts
*fingers crossed* let us know how it goes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I've tried everything with loosening the motor and jacking it up on the right side. The belt still wants to migrate over to the right side on the pulley. I'm at a complete loss. When I bought the motorcycle the belt was over tightened. Could that have caused something. Is the belt messed up?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think I read on here that someone was told to not mind the belt tracking to the inside or outside of the pulley so long as it isnt coming off. Is it still rubbing on the frame?

·
Registered
348 Posts
After putting my 230 tire on, and also the Barons rear pulley, my belt rode to the inside for around 500km. It was not making any weird noises, so I just monitored it, and let it be. Now after the 500km, my belt has migrated to the outside and seems happy there. No noise or other unusual rubbing issues. If it is not making any noise, just keep an eye on it for awhile and let it find its own way. E&OE.

·
Registered
308 Posts
hi
i would check all the teeth of the pulleys for debris. if something's stuck in there it would be possible to alter the belts path. also check the belt for the same reason.

a self leveling laser level could help you check if the front and back pulleys are aligned/true. they have them at hardware stores, with both vertical and horizontal laser lines. just a thought...

on the front pulley the belt should be running on the inside and on the back it should be on the very outside. there are two belts on the 900s, depending on the year; older models -prior 2012- use a wider belt.
too much tension damages ball-bearings... eventually. the good thing is that you can't damage a ball-bearing in such a manner that you alter the angle of pulley without hearing great grinding metallic noises.
the back pulley can be adjusted on the horizontal axis and if the belt is tight enough, it can influence the path of the belt on the front pulley too. also, the markings for adjusting the rear pulley can be in the correct position and but the rear wheel may be way off.. to make sure that's not the case, position the wheel as far forward as possible, tighten the bolts a little and then start pulling the wheel in place with the side adjusters until the desired tension is obtained in the belt. left side first, small increments. (if the alignment is way off the brake disc will make 'noises' ) all this supposing the frame is straight, the swing arm is aligned, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts