Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all .. Hello all,

I am new owner of a 2009 Vulcan 900 custom SE since 3 months.
Bought it since i wanted a bike which could get me on long trips with bags and camping stuff and also around town.I already own a chopper which i mostly drive to bike meetings and shows.
After reading this forum almost daily to learn more about my bike i finally started adding some mods.
Unfortunately i am having problems so i was thinking to ask you for help

Here it is :
I changed the front pulley with Scottworks and also upgraded rear tire to Avon 200/70/15.I didnt had any tools to measure the belt tension.I went for a short ride to check how it works and when i came back the tire punched a whole in the mud flap around the size of a egg and also ate up a small whole in the belt cover.I read alot of reviews of people doing the same and i dont remember anyone having these problems.I removed entirely the mud flap (the black plastic screen between the tire and the rear suspension and trimmed the belt guard.So far so good ..
Main problem is that the bike squeaks when suddenly closing the gas or when engine braking, also when riding over speed bumps or holes in the road.
I tried and adjusted several times the belt but same happens.No squeak or other noise while driving like other people said .. just when engine braking or closing the throttle (i assume when i do that the mass of the bike shift to front and extends the belt ?)
As i said the bike is a 2009 vulcan 900 customer SE with scottworks front pulley and avon 200 rear.
The belt is adjusted at the 2nd marking starting from left to right how you look at the bike.Belt is migrated as before on the left side of the pulley.
Maibe someone could tell me why it squeaks and how should i adjust it to fix the issue.Also would be great if someone else with a custom SE model and same mods could tell me at what mark they have the belt adjusted.
Thanks alot

P.S rear tire pressure set to 38 psi and belt was set at 3rd marker from the left with stock pulley and stock rear tire (no squeaks)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Default belt adjustment issues

You went with the front pulley change and the bigger rear tire thats why you got clearance issues the pulley pulls the tire forward while the taller tire will scrape people usually go either or, or rear pulley with taller tire. For the squeek you might have the older scootworks pulley before they improved it lots of luck with the adjustment

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey mate,

Thanks for the reply
I was aware that it might be a clearance issue but since others didn't mention it i tought it would not pose a problem
Regarding the old version of the pulley, i could not tell .. mine is raw, not shiny alu or chromed
Is it posible to get rid of the squeak with adjusting or not posible ? If i continue to run with the squeak does that pose any problems to my belt or other parts of the bike ?
What is curious, i dont hear any noise while riding normal like other ppl complain .. mine just does noises while under tension from engine brake or deceleration from suddenly closing the throttle

·
Registered
88 Posts
If the belt is riding to the left side of the rear pulley with about a dimes thickness between it and the left side pulley lip then you are tracking correctly. Just rough guess the tension and go to the supermarket and buy some canning wax ( GULF ) it is in the isle where they have canning jars ETC. cut a small piece about the size of a dime and put it on the inside of your belt buy the back pulley and roll the bike forward. Do this a couple of times and the squeek will disappear. The wax won't hurt your belt and it won't get nasty like belt dressing. I've used this since I changed out my rear pulley over a year ago and have only had to do it twice now.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
this is what the "new" scootworks pulley should look like ..... there is a coating on the teeth to eliminate the squeeking.

here is a kink to a thread explaining the whole dilemma

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt333/PHiggins_01_photos/DSC00292.jpg

If you do not have this coated pulley and you just bought it, you have the older version ...send it back. I try to tell people that a 200 tire and a front pulley will not fit without modification, someone keeps correcting me. Go figure.

Good luck.

cheers Maurice

·
Registered
711 Posts
I had your same setup for about six months with zero issues. Two questions, 1st has your bike been lowered? 2nd if the answer is no to question one then your belt might be a little on the loose side. As I mention earlier I had the same exact set up with the SW front pulley and the Avon Venum 200/70/15 and never had any issues with the mudgard even when riding two up and bags and truck fully loaded.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hello,

This is the pulley i have, as i said cant figure it out if it's the old or new version
However even if it is the old ver i cant send it back since i live in Europe and the shipping is expensive
V Twin, no lowering has been made to the bike, it's all stock
Using the thumb rule i could say it's abit more loose than it was before as it was adjusted from factory
As you look at it it's on the second marker from the left, do you remember at what sign was yours adjusted ?
I tought the same when it rubbed on the mudguard .. that the belt was abit loose since nobody complained that it happend to them
Just to make myself more clear .. the bike doesnt squeak or make any noise while moving/driving normaly .. the noise only appears if engine braking, closing throttle or riding over big bumps
If someone is more technical about it, could you please explain what happend in the above described cases to the belt, that way maibe we can figure out what the problem is ..
I belive if it were a permanent problem with the teeth of the pulley, the coating it should make noise all the time, not only on certain cases
I will try and adjust it tighter and ride a short one to see if it still does the same
I am more concerned not to damage the belt or others parts since i dont have that much money to throw around

P.S V twin .. if you have a MSN, Yahoo ID or something to talk online would be easyer to discuss

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hello,

Went to the bike and took some pictures so you can see how it is
Also did some measurements and when pushing the belt at the middle there is aprox 1cm of travel with the bike sitting on the sidestand and nobody on the bike
On the rear pulley on the left side there is no space at all between the belt and the left lip and on the right side there is aprox 2mm of space as can be seen in the picture
Also between the tire and the frame behind the mudguard there is aprox 1cm of space
I hope this helps with finding a cure

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hi,
By looking at your pulley picture it looks like you have the same older version I own. About the marks it's been some five months since I added the rear sw pulley (now have both) but let me check my bike this afternoon and see if I can still see the old marks. The one thing I know for sure mine rever rubbed on the belt guard or the mudguard. By looking at the picture of your belt guard it looks like your wheel is way too colse to the left side so let me look at mine and maybe take some pictures and compare with what you have. I don't have msn or yahoo but do have AOL AIM but first let me check with my bike and I'll get with you on that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there are 2 sides to everything .. some say that the marks should be the same on both sides so that the wheel is aligned and you dont blow the bearings and some say you have to adjust the belt by pulling more or less to one side until it's fine ..
mine are set at the same mark but still seems to be rubbing more on the left side .. if i remember well with stock pulley the right side was abit more extended .. 3rd and half mark while left was 3rd mark

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi guys,

I would encourage you to keep posting here. It would be of great benifit to others with the same issues. I'm still dealing with the same issue with my VN900LT. At the end of the day my belt does the same thing...been driving me nuts. It started the day I had to change my tires. I've tried countless times to adjust the belt. One thing I'm sure of is it's no simple feat...should be but isn't. I'm paying quite attention to this post hoping it may help me with my issue.

Keep up the great dialog...

Thanks,

Denis

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's a dumb question... Are you test-riding the bike with the saddle bags removed?

My rear tire went flat and I took it off myself to have it replaced. When I put the tire back on, I took the bike for a test ride before I put the saddle bags back on. The bike squeaked a lot. I checked and rechecked the belt tension (I had no tools to measure it either) and alignment but couldn't get rid of the squeak.

Turns out that a couple of the saddle bag mounts also double as mounts for the sissy bar. While I was riding the bike with the saddle bags removed, the sissy bar was loose and would vibrate and squeak whenever I hit a bump or accelerated or decelerated...

*edit*
Just reread your post. You have a custom SE, not the LT like mine so I guess you don't have saddle bags. It still sounds like your problem might be something loose that is vibrating and squeaking when the bike hits a bump or is otherwise shaking (ie, accelerating or engine braking).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have saddlebags yet .. but thanks for the advice
I will try tomorrow adjusting again and riding a few hundred miles in the weekend
Will come back monday with news

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
From the picture, you definitely have the older version of the pulley. If you just received it, I'd send it back for the newer version or ask for my money back.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the front pulley and seems the squeak is getting louder and louder. I pulled the covers off and now I have wear along the belt track.

I have written Scootworks to see if they will replace it but since I bought mine last spring I think the odds are slim they will help.

Was debating about installing original pulley and replacing the rear one. I never see any posts with problems with the rear plus I can go with a 200 tire I believe.

We'll see if they respond.

Frank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts