Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 5000kms (couldn't ride more due to the craptacular weather here in Montreal...damn snow!!) I've got a VN2000 with 90,000kms on it. I've had a mechanic buddy ride it, and he commented on how well it drove, and that it was very responsive on the throttle and that he didn't think it was showing its age at all (he has been riding the better part of 20 years = gobs of experience), which was nice to hear about the VN.

My first question is, how many km's can I expect (obviously this would be a ballpark figure) out of the engine? I think the previous owner was on top of things judging by the condition of the bike when I got it, and I too am very much from the proactive side of the fence.

Second questions is in regards to the legendary noises this machine can produce. I have a noise from below the gas tank and on the left side, which my buddy has pointed out as being a valve train issue. It sounds like chirping that accelerates as the rpms go up, but only when the clutch is out. If I pull the clutch in, the noise stops. I am bringing it to a garage next week to get the noise evaluated, can anyone offer any clues as to what I am hearing?

Ride safe!

·
Registered
102 Posts
hi,the noise can't be valve gear noise as it would not be effected by pulling in the clutch.my best guess would be primary chain or crank damper assy,pulling in the clutch puts a small load on the chain and may stop it rattling.the chain has no tensioner only guides.the other area that could make a noise is the front primary chain sprocket damper assy.it is spring loaded and wear may cause noises. have just had a look in the manual and this is fairly easy to get to.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Most likely what you are hearing is the fuel injectors. The bike has made that noise since the very first time the engine was cranked and will continue to do so every time the engine is cranked.

Just ride the thing and ignore the noises. If something serious happens you will be the first to know so until then, Don't Sweat The Petty Stuff and Don't Pet The Sweaty Stuff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Strange how that noise disappeared for a couple of long rides, but the other day it rained (I kept it covered and parked on the street), and I took it out for a ride to the store...it was ticking more than ever. It ticks when in neutral, and of course as I ride the ticking accelerates and gets louder with the rpm's. Regardless if it is "normal", I would really like to know what is the source of the blasted noise....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to check the oil, my local dealership did my last oil change and I'm not sure what they put in. :l

What is happening that a lifter is doing that, and what is the solution?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'll have to check the oil, my local dealership did my last oil change and I'm not sure what they put in. :l

What is happening that a lifter is doing that, and what is the solution?
The lifters (hydraulic lash adjusters, or HLAs) can "go bad" (whatever that means),causing them to fail to hold their prime. And/or the sintered screen in the rocker shaft can get clogged, starving part or all of the top end of oil. Annoying, I know. This fall I'm going to go in and replace some of the HLAs and drill holes through the screens.

At the recommendation of a mech at the dealership I switched to 15w50 synthetic oil. I had thought thinner oil was the answer, but his thinking was that with thicker oil the HLAs would be less likely to lose their prime. So far it has helped (1000 miles since the switch)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, I feel like such a dork. Last year, after having gotten my vn2000 I brought it to a local dealer for an oil change because I was unsure what type of maintenance had been done to it, and I asked the mechanic to check the air filter. So what does he do? He pops the cover off and sees that the front side is spic and span. He didn't bother to take it off and check the back. So a week ago I take the whole filter out and lo and behold, the back is pitch black from oil. I swapped it out today for a brand new one, and in one instant I went from having a VN that was tough to drive (herky jerky throttle), to driving a smooth beast. Lesson learned....the air filter is an impressive part of the whole equation. You guys may laugh at that epiphany, but I usually change the filter on my car often enough not to notice a difference in performance.

What would one of those Big Air kits do in terms of power and fuel consumption? I have no experience with those, so I'm not sure what putting one would do.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
What would one of those Big Air kits do in terms of power and fuel consumption? I have no experience with those, so I'm not sure what putting one would do.
Putting a Big Air Kit (or any aftermarket intake) alone won't do anything performance wise.

The engine has an "input" and an "output". (air intake and exhaust pipes).

The stock pipes and intake were made to "work together".

If you increase the air intake ability, well.. you can only "push" out so much of that air using the stock pipes. The pipes bottleneck the air flowing out.

Same the other way. If you put on aftermarket pipes for better airflow, but don't switch out the air intake..well.. it does not matter how much airflow the pipes can handle, if your intake is restricting it.

Soo, take both at once to make a difference.

However... if you do both of those, you need to put on a fuel processor. The computer in the bike expects "X" amount of air coming in, so it mixes "X" amount of fuel burn with it.

if all of a sudden, you have lot's more air flowing thru it, the ratio is way off. So you gotta be able to tell how to handle the fuel/air ratio.

So, not cheap. A lot of people do it in stages, usually the pipes first (since they are the most expensive), then the intake and fuel processor at the same time.

(check ebay for used Power Commanders and/or Cobra fuel thing's from bikes being parted out. Just make sure it works for your year bike, not all will).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, smedlin, I've read a lot of posts in my time, rarely have I seen one posted with such clarity and that is so helpful without being condescending! Thank you so much for the information, my knowledge took a ginourmous leap forward thanks to your information.

As a follow-up question, does it make much sense to buy a fuel processor make much sense without the other upgrades?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If I may, if you're not planning on changing the pipes and intake, the fuel processor will most likely not help anything. It may even increase popping on deceleration.

Have you considered (or heard of) the resistor mod?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Bill,

I have read about it on this forum, and it was one of the mods I was considering. The fuel processor was something I was considering only because a buddy was getting one installed on his bike (not a VN2000). Seeing as how it won't help, I won't be getting one. No use spending money I don't have on something that will not offer an improvement to my riding fun. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
you can all-ways gain from adding a fuel processor. but just about everyone who rides bikes sooner or later wants to add pipes for sound and performance and if your going to do one you should do all three, it just makes sense in the long run.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so something weird....that ticking noise I've complained about comes and goes. Some days its not there, others its loud as heck. I've also pinpointed it to the top right side of the engine. when the motor is on and i touch it (though obviously not for long due to the heat) I can feel the tapping. On the left side (clutch side) I don't feel the tapping.

The noise(s) are driving me nuts. :mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok so something weird....that ticking noise I've complained about comes and goes. Some days its not there, others its loud as heck. I've also pinpointed it to the top right side of the engine. when the motor is on and i touch it (though obviously not for long due to the heat) I can feel the tapping. On the left side (clutch side) I don't feel the tapping.

The noise(s) are driving me nuts. :mad:
Were you ever able to solve the ticking problem? My 05 has been doing it for a while now and has recently started making a sucking sound from the same area when accelerating. It only has 40,000 kms on it. Otherwise it runs pefectly. Thanks!

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Were you ever able to solve the ticking problem? My 05 has been doing it for a while now and has recently started making a sucking sound from the same area when accelerating. It only has 40,000 kms on it. Otherwise it runs pefectly. Thanks!
Would that be his lifters?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Being new to vn2000 have you learned how to check the oil it is a unique processif not done right it will fill your air filter with oil

·
Registered
10 Posts
My thoughts were lifters, but it seems odd at only 40,000 kms (25,000 miles). I found out about the decompression solenoid problem and had it checked but nothing wrong with it. Yes I know how to do the oil ritual, I learned it the first year of owning the bike from this forum! My next thought is the HLAs and the screen in the rocker shaft and mentioned earlier in this thread. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Timbur didn't sound like ur first time round da block phitho had his oil changed at local shops so I wasn't sure if he knew and he explained the noise went away when he pulled in the clutch wasn't sure if that had changed or not but almost sounds like he might be chasing a noise like I did related to belt tension issue

·
Registered
10 Posts
The lifters (hydraulic lash adjusters, or HLAs) can "go bad" (whatever that means),causing them to fail to hold their prime. And/or the sintered screen in the rocker shaft can get clogged, starving part or all of the top end of oil. Annoying, I know. This fall I'm going to go in and replace some of the HLAs and drill holes through the screens.

At the recommendation of a mech at the dealership I switched to 15w50 synthetic oil. I had thought thinner oil was the answer, but his thinking was that with thicker oil the HLAs would be less likely to lose their prime. So far it has helped (1000 miles since the switch)
Hi Bill, I know this is an old post but I was wondering if these fixes helped the situation? I'm surprised by the oil switch as I was told that thicker oil would have a harder time getting through the small passageways. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts