Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tell me fellas, Would the first thing to check be the front fork oil/springs/seals? If so, how difficult a job is it to service? (Lookin' at you, Ponch...)

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Also, what year and how many miles are on it?

(Would love though, to see a sticky/write up on how to tear down and rebuild the front forks.)

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's in the manual.:)

·
Registered
228 Posts
If its the front forks is there leakage or excess oil on the top tube. Front forks are not that hard i did mine less than a year ago i did a write up on here. look up "front fork rebuild"
I change my springs out to progresssive and wnet with a heavier oil it made all the difference in the world bike handled completly different.

But you might want to look at the tire if there is not oil leakage. I know switching to the brigestone from the metzler help alot to.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
So tell me fellas, Would the first thing to check be the front fork oil/springs/seals? If so, how difficult a job is it to service? (Lookin' at you, Ponch...)
69, you state a ruff ride? Watt perzackly does that mean?
For ez cheap trial w/o tearing the front end down, remove the front wheel and drain the forks from the drain plugs under the axle housings.
Pop the top caps and remove the spring caps. Flush the fork tubes. That's some really nasty fork oil that comes out. Stinx!
RePlug the forx and refill with 20w HD fork oil. Cap it. Install front wheel.
Now see if you like yor new and improved handling? All this is about twenty sawbux and 2:beer: job. No need to tear the front end down if the seals are not leaking. poncho

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hope to try ponch's suggestion next weekend...but to answer your questions, no leaking, no visible signs of distress, I have simply noticed that the front end is transferring vibrations and bumps more recently than it ever had before. As far as mileage, she's still almost virgin, with only 30k on it. The front tire is a metzler 880, same as always, and I changed it back in February.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
As far as mileage, she's still almost virgin, with only 30k on it. The front tire is a metzler 880, same as always, and I changed it back in February.
the motor mite still be not broken in yet.. butt i bet that fork oil is N.A.S.T.Y.
i changed mine originally about the same mileage.. that was the worst smelling toxic substance had to handle since the kids were still shittin in their pance.

change up, made a world of diff. do it. the kidds always feel better, even if you dont. poncho

1 - 9 of 9 Posts