Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of you may disagree, but I debaffled my 09 VN900C SE just the way alot of you have on this site. I will say it really does sound pretty darn good, but it its pretty loud. Actually its really annoying at Highway speeds, my ears were ringing and I was wearing a full helmet. Around town, it sounds really aggresive, has a nice rumble and good bark to it. BUT, I lost ALOT of power! Yes, I really did. I noticed the midrange is almost dead. Almost feels like it running out of fuel. My bike has 350 miles on it and there is nothing wrong with it. I thought the cat converter would cause enough backpressue to keep the engine running the way it was supposed to, but I was wrong. The bike is really slow now, it really made a difference for the worst. I had drilled the baffles before and rode like that for 100 miles or so, and the engine ran the same. No difference noticed in power output. It sounded ok, but to me it sounded more like it had an exhaust leak rather then a nice set of pipes. So that was the reason why I completly removed the baffles. I have the same tank of gas since before I debaffled and after, so its not a fuel quailty issue. The FI light did not come on, no stalling or hesitation or surging, no other problems at all except for the loss of power. And I am talking a noticable difference. So keep that in mind before You debaffle. I am going to order the Big City Monster Baffles Tommorow to give it some needed backpressue.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first I thought the same thing, but there are no other issue's other then the loss of power right after I debaffled. The low miles is not an issue. Other then the debaffled pipes, the bike is completly stock

·
Registered
66 Posts
I drilled holes in mine yesterday...at first, I didn't much care for that "Raspy" sound, but it grew on me. I was thinking of going ahead and pulling the baffles out, now I'm going to wait.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm fully debaffled and haven't noticed one iota of power loss. Just a nice bike sound to her now. FYI, 2009 Custom SE with about 2500 miles on and engine/intake is all stock. I debaffled after the first day of riding at about 20 miles.

Just my .002.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was a Firm believer in that debaffling would not cause any power loss, but I am telling you, it did. I have built plenty of race(street) cars and I am an ASE certified Auto tech, I know when something is slower and quicker. I can tell when my race car is 0.3 tenths slower on somedays then others. I was so dissapointed and could not sit still today because of this, I went and modified the stock air box. I removed it from the throttle housing, and used my dremel to cut a nice size square in the front/side of it, now I have air entering from the front of the bike and it goes through the filter before it gets through the throttle body. There is a post on here that I followed, and it worked. I still have power loss under 50mph. But when I took it on the highway, in 5th gear mostly, I felt a good difference in power from before. Almost feels like its back to stock at highway speeds in 5th with this mod. This bike feels much stronger in the bottom of every gear, and even stronger in 4th and 5th. I just dont think Kawasaki got the gear ratio's right on this bike. I know it is not a race bike, but come on, my station wagon can keep up with it. I will say this, if I could put the stock baffles back in, I would. The sound is great without them, but this slow bike just got alot slower without them. If anyone is in the Philadelphia area, contact me and take her for a test ride to see If I am crazy or not.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You're the first report I have heard of such things, I've been running debaffled pipes for the better part of 3 years and 35,000 miles. You can pick up pipes off Ebay all the time for around 150-200 bucks, that would be easier than finding baffles to push in the pipes. A fuel modulator should help too. I"m assuming you checked your plugs to see if you were running lean.

As with everything, YMMV. And as with everything, there's always gotta be a first.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The 900's run rich from the factory since the FI is an open loop system and running rich prevents burnt parts. If your fuel delivery is marginal then debaffling could result in some loss of power. Your results are not typical; you may need to add a fuel processor.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have not checked my plugs because I know its not running lean. I can smell it running slightly rich, I can see very little bit of black smoke when goose the throttle, and I have a LM1 O2 sensor I use for tunning race cars. Just stick it up the pipe and I can see what my A/F ratio is. Maybe its just me, but I swear it feels slower. Has anyone ever taken their vn900C to the dragstrip and see what kind or 1/4mile times it pulls? I can bring mine to my local track and give it a pass just to see if its on par.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 900's run rich from the factory since the FI is an open loop system and running rich prevents burnt parts. If your fuel delivery is marginal then debaffling could result in some loss of power. Your results are not typical; you may need to add a fuel processor.
I guess that's why my pipes turned blue from the get go.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well I'm not a drag racer nor do I know where the nearest track is, I doubt our results would be comparable. I did just get back from pulling a trailer 800 miles with it and I didn't notice any lack of power for that, heck, got 45 mpg with the trailer on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry you don't like the results of your debaffle.

I know I really like mine being debaffled, and even using BOTH Scootworks overdrive pulleys, I haven't noticed a loss of power on my 08 900LT.
How much more cruise RPM did you get from the Scoot pulleys? I think this bike really needs another gear, and I am very intrested in the lower(numerical)gear ratio that the pullys offer. Was it noticable? I like to cruise around 80mph, and the engine is really working at that speed, its very buzzy, and hard to keep that speed for a good distance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I'm not a drag racer nor do I know where the nearest track is, I doubt our results would be comparable. I did just get back from pulling a trailer 800 miles with it and I didn't notice any lack of power for that, heck, got 45 mpg with the trailer on.
How heavy was the trailer????

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont quite understand what you mean. If the factory FI systems is rich (which it is not) then why would my fuel system be marginal?

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have chopped my stock pipes and also debaffeled..no such loss as of yet..

also are they really rich from the factory?

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I would presume them to be lean like every other water cooled bike on the road to help with EPA numbers.
Try the old time method of checking A/F mixture at road speed,put it in high gear, do a roll on from around 60 at WOT, pull the enrichment(choke, if this bike has one) and if it picks up even for a split second its lean, if it falls on its face its fat.
No choke? cover the cutout you made in air cleaner with a cloth or piece of plastic to block the air flow.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts