Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Super Moderator
Breaking the bead is the easy part. Getting the old tire off the rim may be a little harder. Getting the new tire on the rim and the bead set, that can be difficult depending on the tire, rim, and tools you have to work with.

Reactions: CarGuy

Super Moderator
I bought a set of tire spoons from HF.. ya, I'm cheap, but w a lil stone work to smooth em me thinks they'll pay for themselves first go... tryin' t find spokeset wheel weights... any help appreciated! Ride Safe
I've got a set of HF spoons, myself, along with their tire changer with the motorcycle adapter.

And it's a tube type rim...馃檮
Oh. I never think about tubed tires. I've sworn off of them, myself. :sneaky:

Reactions: andyvh1959

Super Moderator
HF sells a tire changer??? How much? And what drives it, air or electric plz? Thanks...
It's manual and is currently ~$50. It needs the motorcycle tire accessory because of the small axle on motorcycles, but I don't see that listed anymore. They have a motorcycle tire changer as a separate item now, but I have no idea how well it works. That changer is ~$90 reg. price currently.

When I got it, the tire changer with the motorcycle accessory was about $100 total with some coupons.

Super Moderator
Hmmm, kinda rounds out to the same as your settup... hafta look into that, we've a small yard w no more shop space. How difficult d'ya think to change over say, a 5 gal. bucket?? Lol
Good luck with the bucket table! :ROFLMAO: I think I would hate the new one HF has. I have a 3/4" plywood platform that I bolt the one I have to. I can store the unit itself on a shelf in my shed and the platform along a wall in the garage. Bad back and bad knees; I can stand up to do tires with it.

Super Moderator
Perhaps you could post a pic of your tire changer?! Thanks... Ride Safe
Right now it's apart and stored in the shed. Here is a link to in on the Harbor Freight site: HF Tire Changer. I don't have a pic of the motorcycle tire accessory and they no longer have that at HF.

Here is a pic I found on the internet showing the adapter on it:
Sports equipment Rectangle Font Auto part Chair

The adapter comes with a center post that is supposed to fit through motorcycle rims, but it was still too big for the Voyager rims. I have some 3/4" iron layout stakes like this: Layout stakes that work, though. It doesn't screw in like the center post that came with it, but it works.

Super Moderator
That link appears to be a car tire product. I found one that is for motocy's... gonna check onnit at my local HF... will letcha know... Ride Safe breda...
Yes, as I said, the HF tire changer I have (the one in the HF link) needs the motorcycle adapter in the picture. They didn't have the stand alone motorcycle tire changer when I got it.

Super Moderator
I've read on other sites where 3 tire spoons are best to have... izzat so?
I have used 3 at one time. I also have rim protectors to keep from scratching the rim with the spoons.

It would probably be better to use 2 spoons and a bead holding tool: Bead holding tool, or a no-mar mount/demount bar instead of spoons. I just haven't gotten a bead holder yet.

Super Moderator
Hey Sabre, just a passing curiosity, you mentioned a bad back n knees... you an ole fart like me? Y don't hafta say, just curious... Ride Safe..
Yep. I'll turn 69 next month. Bad back, bad knees, already had a shoulder replaced...getting old ain't for sissies!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts