Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only ask cuz it has'nt been done by meself yet. Do ya need a beadbreaking tool for the rear tire change on the 800's? Just wanna have all m tools ready... or is there a tried n true "shade tree" method? Thanks...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use a couple of c-clamps, then leave it in the sun. Takes a good 30 minutes tightening one, then the other, then leave in the sun for a few minutes before repeating, but it works for me when I'm not in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I've never tried this, but I've seen it mentioned before. I'm also not too sure about his advice to use corn oil in the wheel to prevent corrosion. The bead breaking seems reasonable though.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use a couple of c-clamps, then leave it in the sun. Takes a good 30 minutes tightening one, then the other, then leave in the sun for a few minutes before repeating, but it works for me when I'm not in a hurry.
Thanks Girt!! I'll give it a try... Ride Safe cuzin

·
Registered
442 Posts
..........I'm also not too sure about his advice to use corn oil in the wheel to prevent corrosion.........
I'm sure the reason to use corn oil is just to stay away from a petroleum based oil. May affect tire or tube Source. I do like the idea of the bead breaker.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've never tried this, but I've seen it mentioned before. I'm also not too sure about his advice to use corn oil in the wheel to prevent corrosion. The bead breaking seems reasonable though.
I've done this method and it works great by using my truck's hitch as the contact point, though I didn't use any lubricant. The bead simply came off.

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Breaking the bead is the easy part. Getting the old tire off the rim may be a little harder. Getting the new tire on the rim and the bead set, that can be difficult depending on the tire, rim, and tools you have to work with.

Reactions: CarGuy

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Breaking the bead is the easy part. Getting the old tire off the rim may be a little harder. Getting the new tire on the rim and the bead set, that can be difficult depending on the tire, rim, and tools you have to work with.
I bought a set of tire spoons from HF.. ya, I'm cheap, but w a lil stone work to smooth em me thinks they'll pay for themselves first go... tryin' t find spokeset wheel weights... any help appreciated! Ride Safe

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
I bought a set of tire spoons from HF.. ya, I'm cheap, but w a lil stone work to smooth em me thinks they'll pay for themselves first go... tryin' t find spokeset wheel weights... any help appreciated! Ride Safe
I've got a set of HF spoons, myself, along with their tire changer with the motorcycle adapter.

And it's a tube type rim...🙄
Oh. I never think about tubed tires. I've sworn off of them, myself. :sneaky:

Reactions: andyvh1959

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got a set of HF spoons, myself, along with their tire changer with the motorcycle adapter.

Considering that route... liked that thread about sealing the rims with marine sealant... a project for another day..

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

HF sells a tire changer??? How much? And what drives it, air or electric plz? Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
HF sells a tire changer??? How much? And what drives it, air or electric plz? Thanks...
It's manual and is currently ~$50. It needs the motorcycle tire accessory because of the small axle on motorcycles, but I don't see that listed anymore. They have a motorcycle tire changer as a separate item now, but I have no idea how well it works. That changer is ~$90 reg. price currently.

When I got it, the tire changer with the motorcycle accessory was about $100 total with some coupons.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's manual and is currently ~$50. It needs the motorcycle tire accessory because of the small axle on motorcycles, but I don't see that listed anymore. They have a motorcycle tire changer as a separate item now, but I have no idea how well it works. That changer is ~$90 reg. price currently.

When I got it, the tire changer with the motorcycle accessory was about $100 total with some coupons.
Hmmm, kinda rounds out to the same as your settup... hafta look into that, we've a small yard w no more shop space. How difficult d'ya think to change over say, a 5 gal. bucket?? Lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
I use the Harbor Freight tire changer and bead breaker. Just did tires on my buddy's VN900, mounted a set of Shinko 777. I did manage to pinch the front tube (argh), but not the rear, and when I got the new front tube it went in easy enough. I still prefer tubeless tires and I've done the radials on my BMW R1200RT and mounted radials on my VN1600 after I switched it over to 17 Mean Streak wheels and radial tires. Saved 26 pounds of weight versus the VN1600 16" wheels and bias ply tires.

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Hmmm, kinda rounds out to the same as your settup... hafta look into that, we've a small yard w no more shop space. How difficult d'ya think to change over say, a 5 gal. bucket?? Lol
Good luck with the bucket table! :ROFLMAO: I think I would hate the new one HF has. I have a 3/4" plywood platform that I bolt the one I have to. I can store the unit itself on a shelf in my shed and the platform along a wall in the garage. Bad back and bad knees; I can stand up to do tires with it.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good luck with the bucket table! :ROFLMAO: I think I would hate the new one HF has. I have a 3/4" plywood platform that I bolt the one I have to. I can store the unit itself on a shelf in my shed and the platform along a wall in the garage. Bad back and bad knees; I can stand up to do tires with it.
Perhaps you could post a pic of your tire changer?! Thanks... Ride Safe

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Perhaps you could post a pic of your tire changer?! Thanks... Ride Safe
Right now it's apart and stored in the shed. Here is a link to in on the Harbor Freight site: HF Tire Changer. I don't have a pic of the motorcycle tire accessory and they no longer have that at HF.

Here is a pic I found on the internet showing the adapter on it:
Sports equipment Rectangle Font Auto part Chair

The adapter comes with a center post that is supposed to fit through motorcycle rims, but it was still too big for the Voyager rims. I have some 3/4" iron layout stakes like this: Layout stakes that work, though. It doesn't screw in like the center post that came with it, but it works.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right now it's apart and stored in the shed. Here is a link to in on the Harbor Freight site: HF Tire Changer. I don't have a pic of the motorcycle tire accessory and they no longer have that at HF.

Here is a pic I found on the internet showing the adapter on it:
View attachment 255474

The adapter comes with a center post that is supposed to fit through motorcycle rims, but it was still too big for the Voyager rims. I have some 3/4" iron layout stakes like this: Layout stakes that work, though. It doesn't screw in like the center post that came with it, but it works.
That link appears to be a car tire product. I found one that is for motocy's... gonna check onnit at my local HF... will letcha know... Ride Safe breda...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts