Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
I wanted to start my very own thread sharing my progress on my bike. I have found that I enjoy coming across other peoples builds and seeing the changes on their bikes, so maybe some one out there will enjoy mine one day lol.

A little bit about me... I am from Houston Tx , hence the "be someone" name (its a Houston thing) and picked up a 1995 Vulcan 800A out in the country about a month ago.
It is my first Kawasaki and from reading several threads, you guys have put my mind to ease with all the troubleshoot, mods, and maintenance information there is. I love working on my own bikes so I have already been using the threads on here, so I want to say thanks!

Attached are the pictures of how I picked up the vulcan.
I will add that the pictures make the bike look nice and clean for its age but when I did pick it up the guy had it stored away in his shed and it was filthy.
It would start up but was idling very high, carb was leaking gas as well and had been from the looks of it because you could see dried up sludge or something on the motor.
Took it any way because I knew what ever I was getting was going to be a fixer upper with the money I had and I wanted the sportier model versus the classic, plus I didnt want to take a perfect bike and tear it apart.
I also attached a picture of the bridge in Downtown Houston that read "Be Someone"

(this little vulcan wants to be some one!)

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next I bought a rear fender on ebay from a classic model because i like the fact that the classic flows with the tire versus the 800A model that flares up right after the passenger seat.
I had seen other vulcan owners that chopped a classic rear fender and I really liked that look. Btw I want to go for a some what bobber look but keeping a fictional rear fender for 2up. Some more insight on why I chose the vulcan 800 is because I had a honda vlx that I bobbed out and absolutely loved but I couldn't take the Wifey out for a spin due to the fender I chose and the smaller motor was wearing on me. So I sold it and was on a hunt for either a honda 750 spirit or a Vulcan 800A. I am glad I did end up the with vulcan because it has a longer rear fender and I'm thinking it would look decent with a sissy bar/ pad for the Wifey...
Back to the fender I was super stoked that it was the same color that was on my bike because that meant I didnt have to paint anything and it could save me some money I didnt need to spend right now. I also wanted to use the stock tank for a while until I knew the bike was running right and all that good stuff. Well she had other plans for me lol
I had it in my head I could make knee dents in the tank because it had already a baseball size dent but while hammering it down I noticed it started creasing. I assume because of the
previous dent, the metal had stretched already and had no where else to go. Well then I said f*&k it, I'll paint it black and rock it for a while I dont care.
AGAIN, she had other plans... in finishing the knee dents, apparently I hammered a little too much and cracked the crease uuuggghhhh! FML

Sooo that night I went online and order the tank SHE WANTED... lol

Attachments

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
Hey there 5wolf from another Houstonian.. like where you're going with the Vulcan 800.

You chose the right bike from the Honda's. Plenty of power.

Post up any questions you may have, we're here to help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next thing I was able to knock out was the seat. I had to get rid of the 1980s looking couch seat. I window shopped online but everything that’s was decent looking was pretty high in price and not something I wanted to spend right now since I’m not even riding it yet. Well I found some vinyl that I liked and used some sticky back 1/4” foam that we have at work and went to work with a help of a friend. I absolutely love how it came out. Surprisingly it’s comfy enough for me but we will see once I actually ride. I ended up adding an additional 1/2” piece of foam for the passenger because that felt pretty stiff and uncomfortable and it did the trick.

Attachments

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
I'm kinda in the same place with the rear fender and not knowing which direction to take.. leaning towards moving the taillight and license plate lower than were they originally seat.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nice work! Y'all are more ambitious than I am ... I ended up getting the Blue Collar Bobbers kits for my VN800B. Vulcan 800s really do make great-looking bobbers.

I really like the fit & finish of my BCB 1929 Ford taillight/tag bracket assembly. It's clean, functional, and really plays well with the rest of the lines of the bike.

I can't recall what the price is, but it's a nice bit of kit. Installation is easy, just follow their online video.

-John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yea BCB make these bikes look great. I actually ran their seat and fender on previous bike (Shadow 600) but they do not support a passenger. I looked into it when I was trying to figure out if I wanted to make it a 2up but I would of have to install a hardtail strut other wise your passenger would be bouncing everywhere lol and then weld a sissy bar for support

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your fender hugs the rear wheel nicely. Has the back end of your bike been lowered?

Fender in pic has also been cut and license plate is hanging from tail ligh bracket. Rear of bike was also lowered.
Yes I lowered the rear by removing the strut and replacing it with (2) 1/4” steel flat bar, essential making my own hardtail strut.
I copied what username “Bone” did on his bike, he has a thread on here about it.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
BCB kits are cool but you're right, it wont support a passenger.

I don't know about a hard tail bro, mama already complains as it is.

What part of Houston are you at?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mumbles, I’m over on the east side off highway 90... yea I’m going to test it out. And if it’s bad I’ll put back the shock and do the mod on the other bracket where you cut it and extend it which lowered the bike as well keeping the suspension. Not sure the name of the bracket but I’ve seen several members on here do it. Just requires welding...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On Monday I received the tank I ordered from pandemonium custom choppers.
I have been grinding the brackets off the backbone little by little through out the week.
I was able to sit the tank on it last night to get and idea of how it would look. "Me Likey"
Hopefully I get everything mounted / plumbed this weekend and get her cranked up and take her for a spin!
One thing that came to mind that I hadnt planned on doing was removing the baffles off the pipes, but with changing up the look of the bike I am not liking this style of pipes.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah, no passengers on BCB fender/seat. I didn't need to support a passenger, so I went the BCB route. My wife rides her own bike, and I am lucky enough to have my Vaquero or KZ if I want to carry a passenger.

-John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, no passengers on BCB fender/seat. I didn't need to support a passenger, so I went the BCB route. My wife rides her own bike, and I am lucky enough to have my Vaquero or KZ if I want to carry a passenger.

-John
Nice! yea I want to get a bigger bike eventually and god willing, so that I can take longer comfy rides with the Wifey. If that happens then I will completely bob the VN800 and with a nice springer seat.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nice! yea I want to get a bigger bike eventually and god willing, so that I can take longer comfy rides with the Wifey. If that happens then I will completely bob the VN800 and with a nice springer seat.
Thanks, yeah the Vaquero definitely is more comfortable for longer rides. Longest I've done is 400 miles over 2 days. Lots of fun! Even with the springer seat and stock suspension, the bobbed-out VN800 rides a bit rough.

-John

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
Your bike is looking better and better. Is that a King Sportster tank? I believe they're about 3 gallons or so.

Pipes look good on her. If they're aftermarket the baffles should slide right out by removing a bolt.

We're not to far apart, I'm in Porter off hwy 59. Let me know if you need some help with something.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts