Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys!

I bought a little national cycle shield and I don't like it.

I'm planning on buying a memphis shades batwing fairing as soon as I finish my exams for my CPA license as a congratulations to myself.

I am wondering if anyone here could help me on deciding what windshield height to order. I am about 5'8'' or 5'9''. I'd really like to have ample wind protection (thats why I'm getting it) but want the windshield pretty low if possible. Is the 7 inch enough??

Any help would be great. Post pics of yours if you have them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bought my 2011 Classic SE with a Batwing Fairing with the 6 1/2" spoiler windshield. Didn't do much for me as far as wind buffeting but it looked nice. I purchased a 9" regular windshield and it was a big improvement over the 6 1/2". Still got more wind buffeting than I like so I purchased a 12" windshield. I've now come to the conclusion that I need to figure out a way to mount some fork deflectors without having to change my engine guard. I've found that my buffeting problem is coming from underneath. I have the Kawasaki OEM driving lights mounted on my SE, not sure of the engine guard I have because it was on the 900 when I bought it but it seems like the fork deflectors would not work very well without coming into contact with my engine guard. If I ever hit a big enough bump while making a turn I'll probably smash my turn signal. I guess what I'm taking an awful long time to say is with some good fork mounted deflectors I think you should be ok with a 7" or 9" windshield.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the 9" and the lowers for most of the buffeting from underneath the fairing. Just got the wind deflectors (not seen on my pics) and they just about eliminate all buffeting from underneath the fairing. I get just a tad above my head, but it is very little. And frankly, without some noise it would be weird. Overall, I think I'm riding in a huge cone of quiet.

I'm 5'5", but it is the triangle from your butt to your nose to the top of the windshield that counts.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Good luck with the CPA exam.

I am 5'11" with a 34" sitting height, and used a 9" windshield on my batwing. I found a copy of an old post I made that says,

me said:
If you measure straight up from 65 on the speedometer bezel to the top of the windshield, a 9" shield sits at about 16". The rake and height of the fairing itself are slightly adjustable, probably moreso for a Custom but for a Classic the headlight limits how far back/down the fairing will go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I think I'm going to go with the 9 inch then. Seems like it should be enough. I've found a couple tutorials for making homemade lowers so I'll probably do that as well since buffeting from underneath seems to be a common issue people have had on here.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Have some pics in my garage,9in on my memphis,5'11 here bout perfect,can see over it and buffeting is minimal

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a problem with buffeting initially... I now have the lowers (fork mounted) and the wind deflectors that mount on the bottom of the fairing. I initially bought the 9 inch spoiler windshield because I liked the look. With the lowers, I stopped most of the buffeting, enough to be comfortable. I also have a 12 inch standard shield just in case I want to take a long trip.

When I say "enough to be comfortable," you can definitely still feel it at 60-70 mph with a full face helmet. Right about 6 feet tall.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm 5'11" and the 8" fits perfectly....but I have the Stealth fairing....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts