Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm looking to install a bat wing fairing on my VN1600 classic. Are there any watts limit ( I found some 6x9 800 watt speakers for a very reasonable price), they are 3 way speakers. Now does it matter if the speakers are 2,3 or 4 ways? I will NOT be installing an amp will that be a game changer? Would I need to stick with a certain wattage since I'm not installing an amp? I'm new to this and dont want to screw anything up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi
There are no watt limits (within praktical range).
The power specs on speakers are given in many, many different ways and it is very hard to compare between speakers. And most are marketing BS. I have a reasonable powerful setup in my living room from a store dedicated to hifi enthusiats. The are rated at 100W. And we use them for throwing parties. I guarantee you that the ones you have found cannot do that. That is not to say that the ones you have found are bad, but to make you see that often the specs are misleading. And to be honest: if they say 800W at a reasonable price.. My guess is that they are not the best. Again, they may be perfect for you.
And the power spec should be a measure of ho much they can handle. They dont "produce" the power themselves. The power comes the amp. You have an amp in the head unit already. What you mean is, that you wont buy an external amp. Amp have many of the same issues with ratings as speakers do.
If it was me, i would find a set of speakers from a brand name.
2, 3 and 4 ways tells you how many drive units (bass, midrange and tweeter for instance) the speaker are fitted with. More drives could give some advantages because each unit only focus on a narrower frequence range. My guess is that it is purely theoretical in a batwing on the highway. For simplicity sake i would find a 2 or 3 way speaker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, Im NOT installing an amp, I do not have an amp period. My question is, is it possible to have this set up running without an amp?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I guess. Hard to say how well.
Just to clarify: You cant drive speakers without an amp. But it will be built into head unit.
I think you have to give us a bit more info. Which fairing? Which head unit? Which speakers?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Alright :)

So the speakers are from a brand marque and 400W peak power per speaker. The RMS (Root Mean Square) Power handling capacity is 45W per speaker which, to me is a more usable figure than the peak power.
I think those are ok speakers. not impressive nor bad.
But they are meant for car applications and i dont think they are waterproof. That may or may not be a problem where you live and depending how you ride (only in sunny weather) and whether you store your bike in- or outdoors. Personally they wouldnt work for me here in Denmark where it rains often :-/

I dont know the stereo, so its hard to tell. The specs says that the built in amp (yes it has an amp) is 4x45W max power. Its hard to say whether its RMS or peak power, but it is a number that matches many car stereos. Besides the questionable quality i think it would be fine.

I hope other will chime in with knowledge and experience :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[Q
Alright :)

So the speakers are from a brand marque and 400W peak power per speaker. The RMS (Root Mean Square) Power handling capacity is 45W per speaker which, to me is a more usable figure than the peak power.
I think those are ok speakers. not impressive nor bad.
But they are meant for car applications and i dont think they are waterproof. That may or may not be a problem where you live and depending how you ride (only in sunny weather) and whether you store your bike in- or outdoors. Personally they wouldnt work for me here in Denmark where it rains often :-/

I dont know the stereo, so its hard to tell. The specs says that the built in amp (yes it has an amp) is 4x45W max power. Its hard to say whether its RMS or peak power, but it is a number that matches many car stereos. Besides the questionable quality i think it would be fine.

I hope other will chime in with knowledge and experience :)
Ok, and yes they are car speakers. What speakers would you recommend they must be 6x9's and reasonably priced, as money is an issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I tried googling 6x9 waterproof speakers and a lot of hits came up. Both cheap and expensive.
I would suggest that you do the same and go through them and see what matches your needs in price and design. I think that most 6x9 would match your stereo, but you could find a selection and post links in here, and we could have a look at them if you want a second oppinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts