Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery tested today,going bad,question is what are you guys putting in your 1700s
went to 3 part stores,found 2 that might work but would rather have correct one,will order off line,thanks:frown2:

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
An AGM battery with a format number (not necessarily the model number) ending in "something"-BS (for example a 20CH-BS format Xtreme brand AGM battery from Batteries Plus or Batteries + Bulbs). Typically, the number before the dash gets higher as the cold cranking amps (CCA) go up as well at the amp hours (Ah) total capacity. Just go to a battery place and have them do a cross reference for the correct battery for your bike. Make sure the battery is not more than 6.45" high.

I think a 16-BS is typically about 230 CCA while a 20-BS would be about 270 CCA, but some mfg may not adhere to that.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An AGM battery with a format number (not necessarily the model number) ending in "something"-BS (for example a 20CH-BS format Xtreme brand AGM battery from Batteries Plus or Batteries + Bulbs). Typically, the number before the dash gets higher as the cold cranking amps (CCA) go up as well at the amp hours (Ah) total capacity. Just go to a battery place and have them do a cross reference for the correct battery for your bike. Make sure the battery is not more than 6.45" high.

I think a 16-BS is typically about 230 CCA while a 20-BS would be about 270 CCA, but some mfg may not adhere to that.
Thanks sabre,yea long story short,hd dealer put a new one in since he could not find the one for it when I bought it,it has a hd batt w brass L brackets for the 2 top post terminals,I guess what I am asking is for a specific battery for it,this one has 225cc at 12a,rather delete the brass L ,terminal ends r like a u clip,not sure this is stock but looks like it,guy said cut tabs off terminals,dont want to,saw one on line only has 200cc but will fit,prob making too much of this:smile2:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm wondering if some of the dimensions of batteries have changed for the same ratings.

I decided to replace mine since as near as I could tell it was the original. The same model number was noticeably larger. It fit in the box but the module that is supposed to be next to it would not go back in.

So I ended up with a slightly smaller battery, 200 CCA versus the 270 that came out. Starts much quicker but longevity remains to be seen.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery came in,charged it for an hour,Fit perfectly,definitely noticed the difference,will c how it holds up,18 mo warranty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts