Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have replaced your OEM Battery, what type did you get and why. :confused:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have an '06 classic and in trying to figure out a charging problem(ended up,being a bad stator) I purchased a gel battery with a two year warranty from Batteries Plus. It was $92.00 but the warranties from the bike batteries at say Autozone or Advanced auto only had I think a 6 month warranty.....didn't want that so was willing to pay the extra.Turns out my original battery was still good and past the load test ,but due to the age I wanted a new battery anyways and so far have had no issues.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Shoria FTW!!!:cool:
I second that opinion.

Why.
Longer battery life.
7 pounds less weight.
More cranking amps. 18 vs 10
Higher voltage maintained.
Dry battery, will not leak or spill acid(none to leak or spill), can be mounted upside down, completely sealed.
When battery is shot toss in trash, or in your garden, biodegradable. Contains Lithium, Iron, Phosphate, aluminum and copper foil, and the case is carbon fiber, I think i will keep the case.
Will not sulfate and die if left on shelf, can be left on shelf for a year without discharge.
Can be discharged down to 50% power and is still ok, does not lose strength on low discharges.

Do you really need any more.

Link here
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/160/730/-/31299/Shorai-Lithium-Iron-Battery/BATTERY+LITHIUM

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a follow-up question, can the stator handle keeping these HD batteries charged? With the sensitive nature of the stator in the *9*, does it put more strain on it. My guess would be no, since the HD batteries maintain their charge better. I contacted GMan Industries on their GBatt series (Odyssey) and their response was they couldn't guarantee that the stator would be at less risk with their battery, however because it maintains it's state of charge so much better, it stands to reason it would be better for the stator. Their website is www.gmanindustries.com

·
Registered
424 Posts
As a follow-up question, can the stator handle keeping these HD batteries charged? With the sensitive nature of the stator in the *9*, does it put more strain on it. My guess would be no, since the HD batteries maintain their charge better. I contacted GMan Industries on their GBatt series (Odyssey) and their response was they couldn't guarantee that the stator would be at less risk with their battery, however because it maintains it's state of charge so much better, it stands to reason it would be better for the stator. Their website is www.gmanindustries.com
I will try to address that. Put mine on last night.
The Shorai battery specifies the battery tender can be used for charging, great got one, charged up from open box in 15 min showed 14.45 volts. The construction of the battery and materials, is vastly different from lead acid, the Shorai battery maintains voltage as the load is increased due to the heat reaction on the material mix and readily accepts a charge, which should IMHO decrease the load required to charge and maintain the load.

Since a stator puts out full power at all times, if there is a drain, that drain will come from the battery without causing the stator to overheat, this is what kills our stators, they get hot and fry the insulation and then short out. Corrosion on the regulator caused by water also sets up a short and overheats the stator so check that often.

Will the battery save the stator, IMHO probably not. But it can't hurt.
And the bike sure starts nice now :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
I went with the Shorai; like it a lot. Spendy, yes, but lighter, stronger, no more high idle at startup. Hopefully helps the stator last longer.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
All good points except I don't get the "no more high idle". What battery you're using shouldn't affect the operating voltage; that's controlled by the voltage regulator. The high idle is set by temperature and pulled down with a timer to keep from overloading the catalyst; same as most cars. If you've lost your high idle I suspect you have a gummed up throttle plate (or part of the controls) and you didn't notice it until you changed the battery.

·
Registered
292 Posts
SteveJB, check out this thread, Battery Thoughts; it is our experience with the high idle issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Need one ASAP.

so I am now in the same predicament but luckily made it home from a day trip before she died.

the question is I don't have a charger so

1) Do Shorais come charged if bought on the internet? Past experience says not.
2) Is there anything I need to be aware of when charging this kind of battery as I may have to borrow a charger.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
so I am now in the same predicament but luckily made it home from a day trip before she died.

2) Is there anything I need to be aware of when charging this kind of battery as I may have to borrow a charger.
1. Arrives fully charged no acid so no shipping problems.

2. Only use a BATTERY TENDER 1.2 amp auto charge that shuts off.

That will work but you want the 18ah just because.

·
Registered
28 Posts
thanks guys! the local guys near me want $120 for the OEM yuasa! might as well shell out a couple more clams for a shorai but cant justify the 18ah price.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Tech, the 14 is the basic replacement. I went with the 18 just because also. Mine came already charged; I just put it in and off she went.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

they should come charged. and if anything you can charge it using a normal battery charger. but please only do it for a short period of time. if you dont have one then buy the official shoari charger which you can use as a battery tender too if ever needed

·
Registered
424 Posts
they should come charged. and if anything you can charge it using a normal battery charger. but please only do it for a short period of time. if you dont have one then buy the official shoari charger which you can use as a battery tender too if ever needed
The official SHORIA charger is only used by the SHORIA battery, special plug for the front of the battery, no alligator clips.
The Deltran BATTERY TENDER is authorized to use on the SHORIA battery and can be used with other batterys.
Have not needed to use the Battery tender since I put the battery on.

good price on the 18ah is here

I got mine from http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/160/730/-/31299/Shorai-Lithium-Iron-Battery/LITHIUM+BATTERY

Recieved it in three 3 days fully charged.
As well as other sites. Not that much more than the 14ah and worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts