Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new gel battery and the terminal is to narrow for the negative connection. The connection coming from the bike is shaped and would actually fit if it came on from the end but it can't be moved around the end of the battery. Anybody else run into this? I guess i'll just flatten the bracket out...
:confused:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well this sucks, I cut a slot in the battery lead top to accommodate the 'shaped' bracket. it now sits in a different place because of the battery's terminal being higher and the plastic guard wont fit back in over the top of it anymore. Not a big deal, except it holds the side cover on!!!
why do these have shaped brackets for the battery???? any ideas?

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Hmm.. I'm wanting to say there is a "thing" under the battery that does nothing but make the battery taller. I think I removed it when I put a new battery in a few years ago.

but.. it WAS a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
why do these have shaped brackets for the battery???? any ideas?
Maybe I'm missing the point (and being somewhat of a smart alec) but probably because the battery cables and terminals are intended to work with the type of battery Kawasaki uses?

Can you provide a picture of what's going on?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I'm missing the point (and being somewhat of a smart alec) but probably because the battery cables and terminals are intended to work with the type of battery Kawasaki uses?

Can you provide a picture of what's going on?
Kaw use's a sealed lead battery, according to my manual, vs. mine is Gel which is also "sealed". All my previous batteries have been wet cell with a drip tube. Not sure why they would have a different terminal on them still? I have never seen this type of terminal, however, i have never bought a gel battery before either.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Yeah, I see what you're saying now.

Maybe it would be easier/better just to return that battery and get one that fits properly, seeings how even if you get the terminal connected it sounds like the battery cover doesn't fit as it should.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I actually had to put one in with the gel being shorter. Thanks, Ill try pulling it, and see if the cables still reach... At this point, it's going to end up in the xr, and at least I can ride in the mean time, while they order the right one.
Thanks for the advice guys!
curt
Hmm.. I'm wanting to say there is a "thing" under the battery that does nothing but make the battery taller. I think I removed it when I put a new battery in a few years ago.

but.. it WAS a few years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts