Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not purchased a service manual yet, so need some help on removing my seats on my 2004 V2K. Owners manual says you must remove seats to get to the battery.

Also, looking for a tender/charger. I saw 2 different Yuasa's on motorcycle-superstore.com. One was a 1.5 amp auto for $64.99; and the other was a smaller Yuasa 12V for $31.99. Any help would be appreciated.

George

·
Registered
319 Posts
George, seat removal is way easy. Open the right side cover using the key(where the tool kit is). Pull the cord to release the rear seat. After the rear seat is off, there are two 10mm bolts to remove the front seat. The battery is under the plastic cover. PM me for more info

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
George, seat removal is way easy. Open the right side cover using the key(where the tool kit is). Pull the cord to release the rear seat. After the rear seat is off, there are two 10mm bolts to remove the front seat. The battery is under the plastic cover. PM me for more info[/QUOTE

Any ideas on a charger? My guess is that I don't really need a big one. I may be planning a trip whereby I may be gone for a month or so, and do not want to have to replace the battery, as it is practically new. Plus, I do not do a lot of long rides, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to put it on the charger often.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't go long without riding, but for the coldest months, I use something like this:
http://www.thebatteryminder.com/12v133abatteryminder-p-29.html

To make connection more convenient I added an extension pigtail ot the aux line at the battery. Brought it out just above the tool box cover - it can be tucked back out of sight. For connection, I used a "power-pole" connector. While not truly waterproof, the plated contacts are corrosion resistant. The neat part is these connectors are hermophromodic (sp?). No male, no female - will always mate but are polarity protected.
http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/powerpole-sets/15-amp-red-black-anderson-powerpole-sets.html

I added a power-pole connector to the batteryminder....

Woody

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have not purchased a service manual yet, so need some help on removing my seats on my 2004 V2K. Owners manual says you must remove seats to get to the battery.

Also, looking for a tender/charger. I saw 2 different Yuasa's on motorcycle-superstore.com. One was a 1.5 amp auto for $64.99; and the other was a smaller Yuasa 12V for $31.99. Any help would be appreciated.

George
The better ones are the actual motorcycle "Battery Tender" brand. They work excellant and the last one i got was $38

·
Registered
305 Posts
George, seat removal is way easy. Open the right side cover using the key(where the tool kit is). Pull the cord to release the rear seat. After the rear seat is off, there are two 10mm bolts to remove the front seat. The battery is under the plastic cover. PM me for more info
Actually I believe its 8mm for front seat removal. The quick release bracket for the rear seat has 10mm bolts. I only know the diffrence because I installed a driver backrest which the bracket goes underneath the stock bracket for the rear seat quick release and I have to switch sockets everytime I want to take the front seat off because with the backrest mounting bracket in place, gets in the way of pulling the front seat off. Pain in the butt having to remove the bracket everytime I want to remove front seat.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I bought mine at wal mart for 36.00 and has been great

·
Registered
419 Posts
Metrics are different

Actually I believe its 8mm for front seat removal. The quick release bracket for the rear seat has 10mm bolts. I only know the diffrence because I installed a driver backrest which the bracket goes underneath the stock bracket for the rear seat quick release and I have to switch sockets everytime I want to take the front seat off because with the backrest mounting bracket in place, gets in the way of pulling the front seat off. Pain in the butt having to remove the bracket everytime I want to remove front seat.
Yea actually the bolts are 6mm with an 8mm head. Metric stuff is measured different then our American stuff. We measure by the "wrench" size (actually the head size of the bolts). Metrics are measured by shaft size, so a 6mm bolt/nut would use a 10mm wrench usually. The bolts on the driver seat is special items and have a 8mm head on them. Didn't want you to go out and order 10mm bolts for a 6mm hole.:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The better ones are the actual motorcycle "Battery Tender" brand. They work excellant and the last one i got was $38[/QUOTE

I bought a YUASA CHARGER 12V900. Found a motorsports store in San Bernardino (Chaparral) $25.99. Lowest price of anyone. Have never seen a motorsports store as large as this one. It was huge. Tried it out today, and the battery was fully charged in less than ten minutes. Evidently, you don't need to ride a lot to keep the battery charged. I used the alligator clips. Would be nice to use the ring quick disconnects, but didn't like the way it made the battery plastic cover bulge and not be flush. Didn't want to cut a slot in the cover, so going to use the alligator clips as needed. Unless someone has another idea. Living out here in California should not be a problem, as I do ride it a couple of days a week. If I go out of town for a month or so, I can always put the charger on with the clips, as the seats are real easy to remove.

George

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Battery Tender. Best one. They sell a pigtail you can install on your battery that has a plug that has a water cap, that extends out from the side of the driver seat and you can plug the Battery Tender into it with no seat removal. Beautiful. And you can wire the same type plug on other accessories and use that pigtail for power. Like a small tire inflator.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Battery Tender. Best one. They sell a pigtail you can install on your battery that has a plug that has a water cap, that extends out from the side of the driver seat and you can plug the Battery Tender into it with no seat removal. Beautiful. And you can wire the same type plug on other accessories and use that pigtail for power. Like a small tire inflator.[/QUOT

I have the pigtail. I understand how it can extend out the side, but I didn't want the wires under the battery cover, as it made it stick up a little, and bolting the cover down wasn't good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
rear seat removal.......

Geez, I must be an idiot. I've taken the right side off and exposed the tool kit, but I cannot find the cord to pull to release the seat. WTF??:mad:

Mike

·
Registered
319 Posts
lock

look behind he tool box or look up under the passeger seat and follow the release cord back. There is usually one of the plastic grommets on the fender that holds it in place

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
Battery Tender. Best one.
Best? Depends upon your priorities. Mine cost about $22 at Wally World and does a great job. Has the extra cords for quick connect and/or alligator clips. Mine is 'BEST' because it was only about half the cost of the Battery Tender. :D
Which leads me to opine that my oil is best, and my car tire is best, and where I live is best.:p

Your opinion may vary.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Years ago there was a consumer test report on the available battery smart chargers, NOT to be confused with trickle chargers. the trickle charger can only be run for timed periods or battery can be damaged. The smart charger has a built in computer that pulses the battery and can be left on indefinitely without damage and in fact give the battery a true top off and extend battery life by 4 or 5 times. My last battery lasted for over 13ys. The top 5 units were named and Yuasa was about second and Tender was 3rd or 4th on list. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for and cheap is not always the best way to go. A $100 is cheaper to get 13yrs out of a battery than buying a new battery every other year for $90. I kept my charger on the bike every time I parked it and didn't know when I would ride it next.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
Yea actually the bolts are 6mm with an 8mm head. Metric stuff is measured different then our American stuff. We measure by the "wrench" size (actually the head size of the bolts). Metrics are measured by shaft size, so a 6mm bolt/nut would use a 10mm wrench usually. The bolts on the driver seat is special items and have a 8mm head on them. Didn't want you to go out and order 10mm bolts for a 6mm hole.:D
you are right....it MUST be an american thing..... because up here in the frozen north (oh did i mention i had the bike out for a lil ride today!!) aka canada, SAE or "standard" size bolts are measured by shaft size as well...for example for example a 3/8" bolt would usualy have a 9/16 head size

1 - 16 of 16 Posts