Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that are using a Battery Tender, (or similar device), how are you running the cord so that it stays hidden but accessible?

I also have a USB power cable that I installed, (no lights so it should not run down the battery when plugged in). I only have one cord running from the battery and want to unplug the batter tender when I'm ready to ride and just plug in the USB power cable to the same connector. I'd like to keep everything nice and tidy but accessible. If you have pictures, please post them.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
inside left side-cover

·
Registered
347 Posts
...under the seat...tucked in around the front side of the battery box.

On the VN900, you need to remove a screw (a bit difficult to access) to remove the side covers...so that is a less-than-optimal location for the pig-tail, IMHO.

The seat is easy to remove...and the battery pig-tail fits in there nicely.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
your left-side cover is screwed? if the right side uses bike key, put your lead inside the keyed right-side cover

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
oh wait, both side covers are screwed on the 900's?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine runs over the frame rail on the left and hangs under the seat, completely out of the way. It's a Noco Genius .75A charger pigtail.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The pigtail on my 900 was routed under the seat as Shadow01 described. Always struck me as a great place for it. Out of sight, out of the elements, easy to get to.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I run mine between the frame rail and the left side cover, greased & capped. friction holds it in tight, but still easy to get to. I get to much dirt and moisture under the seat. Have to put everything in baggie's.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's surprising how much crud gets under a MC seat. Once ambient dust and debris gets under there, it is in dead air and it precipitates out.

My habit is to wipe everything clean with a slightly oily rag rather than using water. Dirt sticks to the rag when wiping and a thin oily coat is left where dust will tend to ahere and keep it out of electrical connectors, seat mechanism and so forth. Plus the oil layer works against rust and corrosion... helps a little bit anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I run mine under the tank, toward the neck & triple tree with a USB cable converter, hidden in plain sight.

It comes apart easy enough for charging & is useful as a usb -> phone charger in combination with the ram mount x-grip for GPS while touring.

No cover removal necessary. Here is a pic of the old position (new is a few inches shorter, tighter to the tank):

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I have a bar mount Kuryakyn cig lighter and power point. the power for this is run under seat and comes out behind the rear jug. There is a 2 prong connector there I can unplug when I want to charge the battery. 2 birds one stone. In the colder months bike sits on tender every night, Mid summer it does not. Pretty easy to get at when needed. Just have to make sure you are charging on the right connector as they all look the same, LOL. I taped the connector going direct to the battery as an indicator.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Like shadow mine is tucked under the seat towards the rear. In summer you just push it under and forget about it. In winter take your finger pull it out a bit and connect. Can't be easier.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Mine comes out right under the ignition key. Has been there for years, sits well with the other cables... Fastest/easiest access I could think of.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts