Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought the battery tender plus and want to have a permanent slave lead connected to the battery so I can just plug the tender in as required without removing the seat/battery cover. The instructions say to connect negative to the frame but it would be much neater to just use the negative battery terminal. I understand the frame connection is to lesson the danger of explosions from sparking - but realistically could this happen given that the battery tender slave lead would be bolted onto the battery terminals (i.e. they don't move) and the battery tender itself plugs into the lead via a secure connection?

·
Registered
273 Posts
tender

I guess I didn't read the instructions for my Junior tender? I hooked both terminals on the battery. I ran mine out by the side cover for quick hookup. Have had it for a couple of years and no accidents yet. I don't plug in all the time when I ride daily but in bad weather weeks I plug in.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I guess I didn't read the instructions for my Junior tender? I hooked both terminals on the battery. I ran mine out by the side cover for quick hookup. Have had it for a couple of years and no accidents yet. I don't plug in all the time when I ride daily but in bad weather weeks I plug in.
Mine is hooked up this way as well, as was the tender on myold Honda Rebel 250 and my wifes Honda Shadow 750. No issues, the guy at the Honda dealership even said to hook it up that way... /shrug

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
If it is dangerous why do they also provide battery terminal cable clips? I have two bikes and my garden tractor wired directly to the battery terminals.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Less potential resistance to hook it directly to the battery. There is NO reason not to !

·
Registered
98 Posts
My guess is that the lawyers told battery tender to put this in their instructions. It is clear that they understand that few people hook them up that way because they provide attachments that hood directly to the battery. In the past the danger was worse with batteries that would vent fumes of acid that could catch on fire with a spark. Newer batteries are sealed units and as long as you don't puncture the case they sould not leak flamable fumes. My pigtail for my battery tender is always attached to the battery terminals no issues here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No problem hooking up to the battery posts. That is a throw back like Art said. A lead acid battery releases Hydrogen gas as it works. Sealed lead acid batteries have a design that reduces or eliminates this gas release. When connecting a jumper cable, you hook up the negative clamp last, electricity flows from negative to positive, this reduces the spark that is created as you make the connection. When cars still used traditional Lead acid batteries, the solution was to connect the negative cable away from the battery on the frame.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I installed Battery Tender connectors directly to the battery in both my ACE and Vulcan like several others here; no problems. The only way you'll get sparking near the battery is if something works loose, and regularly checking the connections prevents this along with a whole lot of other troubles.

Ride safe,
Grandpa

1 - 11 of 11 Posts