Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone tried this product. Would use to power my Garmin Nuvi. I assume powering the Garmin would not use too much power from the battery on my Vulcan 900 Custom. I already have the Battery Tender connectors connected to the battery.

On Amazon.com

Battery Tender 081-0069-8 Female Cigarette Adaptor for Quick Disconnect

·
Registered
430 Posts
Anyone tried this product. Would use to power my Garmin Nuvi. I assume powering the Garmin would not use too much power from the battery on my Vulcan 900 Custom. I already have the Battery Tender connectors connected to the battery.

On Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041CDPQO/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details
I think the battery tender uses a 3 volt fuse and the adapter might need a 12 volt fuse... Not too sure but you might want to look into that.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses

This is truly one of the great resources on the web. :) Thankful these forums exist.

·
Registered
424 Posts
VulcanJohn.
Yes the battery tender connection will work, not for a cigarette lighter. The fuse on the tender pig tail is 3 amp, don't ask how I know. The unit is designed to recharge cell phones or power a gps nothing of higher amperage.

However I am with Whiting57 about the Kury, Looks great and supplies 10 amps of power.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VulcanJohn.
Yes the battery tender connection will work, not for a cigarette lighter. The fuse on the tender pig tail is 3 amp, don't ask how I know. The unit is designed to recharge cell phones or power a gps nothing of higher amperage.

However I am with Whiting57 about the Kury, Looks great and supplies 10 amps of power.
This will only be used to power a GPS. The GPS has an estimated run time of 2 hours on battery which should get me to the location. The power plug for the GPS connects normally to the car cigarette outlet and the GPS power plug has a removable fuse contained within it. The main concern was whether the GPS would consume too much power and drain the battery even while running the bike as the MOM said could happen. The GPS will not be connected unless the bike is running. Doing a search on this topic in the forums revealed that people were doing this on a Vulcan 500 with no issues.

·
Registered
424 Posts
This will only be used to power a GPS. The GPS has an estimated run time of 2 hours on battery which should get me to the location. The power plug for the GPS connects normally to the car cigarette plug and the GPS power plug has a removable fuse contained within it. The main concern was whether the GPS would consume too much power and drain the battery even while running the bike as the MOM said could happen. The GPS will not be connected unless the bike is running. Doing a search on this topic in the forums revealed that people were doing this on a Vulcan 500 with no issues.

A GPS will not draw enough power to even be noticed. I run my GPS plugged in to the battery, thru my KURY power point of course, and save the internal battery for later.
MOM is talking about Heated gear or extra lights that draw large amounts of power to generate heat or light. These units can draw over 100 watts to use and can drain the battery at full run. If you look at the GPS I would bet the power rating is in milliamps, less than 1 watt. I believe mine is 5 volts at 340 milliamps.
Just keep in mind, YOU ONLY HAVE 70 EXTRA WATTS OF POWER. Stay below that and you are good, or get creative and lower the stock power use.
Just in case WATTS=VOLTS X AMPS.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I run a heated vest in the winter on a Battery Tender pigtail and I've never had any problems. You should be just fine running something as small as a GPS.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got my Battery Tender cigarette plug. It says not to use without a Battery Tender fused connection. The GPS plug has a fuse in it. I do not have the Battery Tender accessory plug with fuse. Will this be an issue?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Fuse

I just got my Battery Tender cigarette plug. It says not to use without a Battery Tender fused connection. The GPS plug has a fuse in it. I do not have the Battery Tender accessory plug with fuse. Will this be an issue?
I would not connect anything directly to the battery without a fuse someplace in the circuit. Fuses are there for the protection of the overall health of the bikes electrical system.

I have the Kury acc. socket and it comes with a fuse in the wiring harness. The Battery tender I purchased also has a fuse in line. I run my Garmin Nuvi (cord has a fuse in it) through the acc socket (so it's in effect fused twice). The Kury acc. socket is not in a switched circuit. I've left my Nuvi plugged in for several days, turned off, bike not run, with no noticable drain on the bikes battery. The Nuvi current draw is too small to be an issue. I've have used my Nuvi, turned on, for hours on the bike with no problem.

JMHO

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would not connect anything directly to the battery without a fuse someplace in the circuit. Fuses are there for the protection of the overall health of the bikes electrical system.

I have the Kury acc. socket and it comes with a fuse in the wiring harness. The Battery tender I purchased also has a fuse in line. I run my Garmin Nuvi (cord has a fuse in it) through the acc socket (so it's in effect fused twice). The Kury acc. socket is not in a switched circuit. I've left my Nuvi plugged in for several days, turned off, bike not run, with no noticable drain on the bikes battery. The Nuvi current draw is too small to be an issue. I've have used my Nuvi, turned on, for hours on the bike with no problem.

JMHO
I just checked the cables in the Battery Tender Plus package. It looks like the pigtail connection to the battery leads has a fuse. It has been a while since I looked at it and the picture of the Battery Tender Plus components show a fused wire to the battery.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just checked the cables in the Battery Tender Plus package. It looks like the pigtail connection to the battery leads has a fuse. It has been a while since I looked at it and the picture of the Battery Tender Plus components show a fused wire to the battery.
Yes fuse is blade type 3 amp. I know, blew it trying to hook up the power supply. Battery tender supply's 1.2 amp max charge so 3 amp is what they use. The general rule of thumb for a fuse is don't put more than 80% of rated power on it. Some blow at lower draws than rated.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Mines direct to the battery, as stated it has a in line fuse ... 3 years,no issues.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Has anyone connected the Kurry accessory to the accessory wire in the headlight housing?
Don't know of a reason why you could not, you would have to redo the plugs on the Power point, but it comes with wire to reach the battery and an inline fuse.

·
Registered
327 Posts

On Amazon.com

That is the exact one that I use for my garmin. I have a fused pigtail on battery that I plug it into. NO problems.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I would like something like this that is a USB connection right off the bat instead of having to have another connection.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been looking at this for quite some time. I've got too many other thing going on with the bike to catch up on first but i'll definitley be getting it in the future. Just not too keen on having a cigarette light type plug and then adapting it to what I actually need.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Fuses

On Amazon.com

Just for chuckles and grins I checked out the Garmin site about my 1450 Nuvi. Per Garmin it pulls 5W MAX. That's less than 1/2 amp. FYI

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't know of a reason why you could not, you would have to redo the plugs on the Power point, but it comes with wire to reach the battery and an inline fuse.
Thanks, I just kind of like the idea of having it on a switched line and I believe that wire would be fused and switched. It's also a bit less of a hassle fishing the wires under the tank. I see Kurry is coming out with a USB power source but it's not available til June, a nice looking piece though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts