Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just got only 2 years out of my factory battery FTZ16-BS. I live in no where USA so I have to buy the new one online. You cannot find the original FTZ16-BS anywhere and it is hard to figure out a replacement for it so the size and type of post are correct.

What brand and model battery has anyone put in there Voyager or Vaquero and fit with no problems or mods? :thinking:

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
2 years service not so hot. Any chance they might warranty part of it? I used a Battery Tender religiously on my last 3 bikes and I can't remember the last time I had to buy a battery......it was over 10 years probably. Good luck~!

·
Registered
314 Posts
2 years service not so hot. Any chance they might warranty part of it? I used a Battery Tender religiously on my last 3 bikes and I can't remember the last time I had to buy a battery......it was over 10 years probably. Good luck~!
+1 on the battery tender. The oem battery on my 900 lasted over 6 years before needing replacement. My current Nomad's battery is going on 4 years and is still going strong. HoweverI only use my battery tender when I know the bike will sit for more than a few days since I'm in an area where year-round riding is possible :grin2:.

·
Registered
116 Posts
7 years is my limit for battery life.
One year we had to replace the alternator and battery on two vehicles.
As the battery weakens the alternator works more to maintain charge and supplement amp draw.
Better to replace battery before alternator.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
7 years on a battery and you're doing good, at 7 years buy a new battery and have it ready on hand for the older one to die anytime after 7

·
Registered
82 Posts
I only get 2-3 years on motorcycle batteries. Ride year round. I get mine from BatteriesPlus

·
Registered
473 Posts
I got 6 years on a Yuasa for my VN800B. Still on the factory battery on my Vaquero, been 2.5yrs. I checked Yuasa's site and found they make an AGM or gel cell (I forget which) replacement battery for my KZ, so I ditched the water-filled one on that bike.

If Yuasa's web site says it'll fit, I'd trust them - that's how I found my KZ battery, and it's a direct drop-in fit.

I use a battery tender during the colder months, and now that I have an enclosed trailer for bike storage, I'll be yanking the battery out of my Vaquero for the winter. +1 for Battery Tender!

-John

·
Registered
3,029 Posts

I use a battery tender during the colder months, and now that I have an enclosed trailer for bike storage, I'll be yanking the battery out of my Vaquero for the winter. +1 for Battery Tender!

-John
You'd be better to charge the battery then leave it in cold storage with the bike than to bring it in warm area. The only trick is to disconnect the negative so parasitic load of the bike doesn't drain it.

Batteries are chemical reaction. Heat speeds up chemical reactions, cold slows down chemical reaction.

Using that method, and the benefit of Minnesota cold winters, I am still on the original battery in my 2008 Vulcan 2000 and that is without using a Battery Tender.

It's not a fluke. It's the same on my Suzuki crotch rocket. It's not the original battery (I'm 3rd owner of it) but the battery in it has been there so long I don't remember how long it has been there.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You'd be better to charge the battery then leave it in cold storage with the bike than to bring it in warm area. The only trick is to disconnect the negative so parasitic load of the bike doesn't drain it.

Batteries are chemical reaction. Heat speeds up chemical reactions, cold slows down chemical reaction.

Using that method, and the benefit of Minnesota cold winters, I am still on the original battery in my 2008 Vulcan 2000 and that is without using a Battery Tender.

It's not a fluke. It's the same on my Suzuki crotch rocket. It's not the original battery (I'm 3rd owner of it) but the battery in it has been there so long I don't remember how long it has been there.
Wow, interesting.

I brought my KZ's battery into the house and left it on a charger all winter (it's literally 2 minutes to install/remove a battery on that bike). My Vaquero usually spends all winter outside under a cover, with the battery in it and tender plugged in. This February I bought an enclosed trailer, so the Vaquero is in that, but I can't run an electric cord to it (it's parked on the street and there's a sidewalk there that I can't block).

My VN800B bobber and my wife's Harley both sit outside in Motorcycle Shells year-round, with tenders plugged into them.

-John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts