Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many 08's have replaced their batterys? I am thinking it is about time to replace the battery. What say you all?

·
Registered
224 Posts
well I have an 06,and after going through a charging problem,replaced my original battery at 26,000 miles even though a load test proved it was still good. I replaced it with a gel battery from Batterys plus and has a 2 year warranty. The standard batteries at Advanced Auto or Autozone only had 6 months to 1 year warranty! It turned out to be a bad stator on my bike by the way.4 years doesn't seem to be alot for a motorcycle battery unless you have had previous issues with it.IMO, I think you have a bit longer for replacing it if your not having any starting/charging issues.But piece of mind is priceless sometimes.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I just replaced the original battery in my 2004 last summer (2011). It was still working great, just got a bit nervous before going on a long ride into Canada. I was probably luckier than most. My bike is in the garage all year and almost never gets below freezing though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm going to replace the factory battery with 13,000+ miles on it in the spring with a Shorai, even though I have no problems with it. A bit spendy, but I feel money well spent.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Maybe you could "part it forward" all those early changed out battery's are still good. Some buddy struggling might put it to good use? Or let it sit in a box and grow old.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think i will change it out with a Gel Cell this comeing summer before rideing up to N.C. for some Mtn. rideing.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I changed mine at 25k but then found out that it was my stator that was bad, not the original battery. Although, if you have 25-30k on your bike and are planning a long soul ride, I would lean toward getting a new one just to be safe. Its hard to enjoy a soul changing experience like the Blue Ridge Parkway when you spend half a day pushing a 600 lb. bike up a mountain in 90 degree heat while cussing your battery.

Hope you have a great ride. If you get up to Little Switzerland, make sure to take a loop on the Diamondback (NC226A). And if you are near Black Mountain, there ain't nothing like My Father's Pizza.
Cheers!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I took my old bike battery and use it to charge up my cell phone, I rigged up a cigarette lighter socket to the old battery
You should have wired in a couple wires to be able to recharge the old battery as well. Give yourself a second battery in the system...

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I took my old bike battery and use it to charge up my cell phone, I rigged up a cigarette lighter socket to the old battery
grimey,, you could hook up an alternator to a bicycle sprocket and keep that batt'ry charged.. or better yet, put the alternator on your stationary bike exerciser and while your pounding away the pounds you kan lite up a camel. think of all the accessories you can power while you melt away the fat. an yor welcome, ponchout

1 - 10 of 10 Posts