Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I recently got a pre-owned 2007 Classic LT. I have been having few queries. I am posting them in different threads so that answering them and following them is lot easier!

The bike goes out of charge now and then, without any notice. Fortunately I have been able to jump start it without much of a problem. But I am concerned about long rides and situations where I might get stranded.

I suspect that the battery has not been changed for last 5 years. So,

1. Should I change the battery?
2. If so, what is the model / type I should look for?
3. Any tips to prolong the battery life?

Links to the products would help a lot. I am sorry, I might need a lot of hand holding since this is my first bike in this country :(

Thanks and Regards,
Sharada

·
Registered
83 Posts
You probably should change the battery. It is 5 years old, and you have no idea how much abuse it has taken.

A new battery is around $100. Get a sealed gel type - not a liquid one that you have to add Acid too.

This is just a sample. If you take your's out and take it a parts shop, they can very likely match it.
http://www.atbatt.com/product/24763/motorcycle/kawasaki/vulcan-900-classic-900cc-06-08/battery

As for maintenance, get a trickle charger (like this one: http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/Battery_Tender_Jr_/web1001733) from Cycle Gear. It comes with a harness you can leave connected to the battery. This way you can hook up the tender when you plan to let it sit for a while. It will keep the battery topped off by charging when needed and they going into float mode when it's not needed.

This is the first thing I put on all my bikes and it really extends the life of the battery.

Doc

·
Registered
83 Posts
BTW - congratulations on the bike! You are going to love that 900!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the wishes and the response, Doc. I love the bike!

Are gel and AGM batteries different?

I will get the trickle charger. There is also a "Plus" model other than the "Junior" model. The difference seems to be wrt output amperage. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU/[/ame]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Right, and all that means is it takes one a little longer to recharge than the other. Get whichever you want, it really makes very little difference.

GEL and AGM are not the same thing. GEL has had a silica added to the acid to make it a thick gooey mass that will not spill even when broken. AGM is Absorbed Glass Mats which are sandwiched between the plates. Both are "dry" batteries, so either one is fine in my opinion. Gel ones cannot be fast charged, so you have to use a lower amp tender, where as AGM does not have that problem, but AGM are usually twice as expensive.

Go with which ever you want, 12v is 12v!

Doc

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
1. Gell batteries usually have a higher internal resistance.
2. ALWAYS do a charging system voltage check when replacing a battery.
3. Boosting is not recommended except in an emergency situation. That means you must do it to get home.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Based upon personal experience I would not get a gel-type battery. I bought one a number of years ago and it died quickly. AGM types are generally used for motorcycles now - the one in my '07 VN900 is three years old and is still going strong after the OEM Yuasa died at two years - I believe that the dealer had allowed or caused the Yuasa to sulfate.

Battery ads can be confusing - what are advertised as gel batteries often actually are AGM types. It's best to ask the vendor to specify what is the actual type.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts