Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got stranded over the weekend 50 miles from home with a dead battery. Died like instantly...one minute it worked, half hour later no start. Making a long story short, I was able to get a battery from a car parts store that fit physically, but is 210 CCA and 14 AH instead of the 270 CCA and 18 AH of the original. It was either that or find an expensive tow home on a Sunday afternoon....battery cost $83.00 and is, of course, not a returnable item. My question is, can I run it with this battery for a short while (until the end of the month), as the bike starts and runs fine, or do I need to bite the bullet and get the right one ASAP?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
The smaller battery won't hurt anything, it's just a bit less powerful. You can use that battery as long as it works for you with absolutely no risk to the motorcycle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got stranded over the weekend 50 miles from home with a dead battery. Died like instantly...one minute it worked, half hour later no start. Making a long story short, I was able to get a battery from a car parts store that fit physically, but is 210 CCA and 14 AH instead of the 270 CCA and 18 AH of the original. It was either that or find an expensive tow home on a Sunday afternoon....battery cost $83.00 and is, of course, not a returnable item. My question is, can I run it with this battery for a short while (until the end of the month), as the bike starts and runs fine, or do I need to bite the bullet and get the right one ASAP?
08Vulcan,

First, the smaller battery will suffice for now. But, It sounds to me you might have more of a problem here. A 08 model should not have a battery problem this early unless you have a large draw on it! Meaning if you have any accessories drawing on your electrical system. If not, your stock battery should last 4 to 5 yrs. If you are running extra lights/heating vests/gloves or other accessories it may draw harder and shorten your battery life. I think you might have a short somewhere causing a constant draw. I would inspect all the wiring. Also if the wire shielding is wearing thin, this will pull more amps to function causing a shorter battery life. IMHO you can run that battery till it dies but I would ensure that all your wiring is working and fully encased. This will allow you to make a better decision on the battery ?. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am having difficulty with my VN2000 cutting out about 3000 RPMs and I was wondering if anyone knows if the ECU is really under the battery in the 2004, and If there has ever been any indications of flat spots in an ECU?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Battery life for bikes apparently is a bit of a crap shoot - my OEM Yuasa on my '07 VN900 conked out in 18 months with the only additional current draw being the minuscule amount it takes to run my tach, electric oil pressure gauge, and volt meter. I got a new battery via Ebay which is working fine. Having done motorcycle-type battery QA I know that quality can vary a lot even within the same brand and size, and with most Asian batteries now made in China, unless QA people do lots of checks they may well cut corners where possible. Also it is possible that the dealer who sells the bike can allow a battery to discharge (for example, starting the bike and running it for only a short while and then letting it sit) - results in sulphation and shortened battery life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts