Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 02 Classic 1500 FI, and the battery does not seem to hold a charge. My charger is supposed to let me know if the battery is good or not and the battery seems to charge fine on charger. Battery is only 1 month old. I am new to trying to fix my own bike. From what I have read, sounds like a voltage regulator. I have what appears to be a regulator just ahead of the rear tire, but there is also something on the front of the bike on the bottom area that looks like one too. Are these easy to replace and are there any recommended regulators or go with one from Kawasaki? Thanks for any help!:confused:

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Never just throw parts at a problem, always troubleshoot.

Do you have a meter and know how to use it?

No meter....we can help there too.

Post back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Somewhere in the shed there is a meter. Been a while since I used one but knew how at sometime in the past. Know how to ohm out, check ac or dc and to change voltage range. Would probably get the manual out to ensure I didn't forget what I was doing. I'd appreciate any advise you can send my way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Start the bike. Get the rpms up. Check the voltage at the battery. If it's above 13 (13.1 to 14.4) volts, it's not the regulator or stator. The only real way to check a battery is load testing. Take the battery to a local O'Rielly's or Autozone. You could also charge the battery, let it sit overnight (disconnected from the bike) and check it in the morning. If it's still sitting above 12.5 volts, it's probably not the battery, but a short, causing a draw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check the Battery cable's on both end's , my negative cable was not tight where it bolt's to the engine. Before I found the problem I would charge the battery , go for a ride , when I got home the battery was dead again . That's been 1 year ago and the battery is 4 year's old and the battery is still going strong .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts