Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used 89 750 and the battery won't stay charged. It is a new battery. I see the postings about the stator issue and wondering if this fits the bill also. It will charge fine overnight but doesn't charge the battery while riding.. Any help or input is appreciated..

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
VN750s have notoriously bad stators. Even the working ones are typically so weak they don't actually charge the battery at idle. Get a multimeter and check your output at the battery.

·
Registered
72 Posts
True, the vn750 will actually slowly discharge at 1100 rpm idle speed.
Watch the voltmeter as you slowly rev it up.
Voltage should slowly climb to ~14.5 vdc @ 4-5k rpm.

If/when you need a new stator, check tuxedosevens no engine pull, $20 engine case mod on youtube

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having similar issues with my 89 750 recently very intermittently. I boought a new voltage regulator and have tested old vs. new with same results, perfect charge. I do still however still lose all electricicty altogether on occasion but at least it seems to charge the battery more consistently so i can re-fire now at least (before i would have drained battery). I am now thinking mine may be in the kill switch or ignition system after talking to a few guys. Our problems sound similar so lets see if we can get this worked out together.

·
Registered
16 Posts
maybe you have a bad electrical circuit somewhere and the bike entered the reserve lighting sys which drains the battery . this was my case anyway.. just a though. this is the case if the head lamp light is on . (it has to be as bright as the oil light)...

·
Registered
118 Posts
charge issues

i recently just finished with my wifes vn750 charge problem,i change stator, pick up coils, volt regulator, battery and all in between but still same issue. i decided to start at volt reg and ohm out each wire, and found the 6-pin plug that goes to volt reg was cracked inside by the brown wire , i got a reading from the brown wire and both the white and black/yellow wires(the plug and wires was cut off when i was testing it) after putting new plug on, the battery charge was 13.5 at 4000 rpms and 14.3 at 6000 rpms. just a thought to think over

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've seen the threads/posts. But the links and pictures are not opening...not found, etc.
I have a 93 VN750. The battery continues to discharge, so I got the Shindegen Mosfet R/R. My question is; how do I wire it correctly. I'm seeing multiple scenarios.
The instruction show 3 yellow to stator, which I understand. The red wire goes to the battery + with the 30A inline fuse. The black to a chassis ground.
Where do the 3 wires, bk/y , brown and white go?
I am assuming they are no longer involved. I just want to confirm.
Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is wiring key to the reg side, this much I'm sure you already know....i'd suggest tapping into the stock wiring (where original volt reg was unplugged from) rather than running direct + and - to battery.

I believe your white is +, bk/y is ground
brown not used with FH mosfet, leave it unconnected

You got the grey and black waterproof connectors in your FH020 kit?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Waterproof connectors did come with it and are installed.
Thanks for the info...we'll give that a try.
The battery still discharges though.
We found an open wire in the fuel gauge and a short to ground under the seat. We thought maybe the start button was an issue, nothing conclusive.
Looks like this is a typical 93 VN750 A...

·
Registered
239 Posts
a favor to ask...could you take a closeup photo of the connector that plugs into your original voltage regulator? I'd like to digest the type of connector. Also the "back end" to access the wiring scheme.

Would you be so kind to simply post here?

It may lead to another, simpler option.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts