Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kept my trickle charger on at least once a month over the winter, when I started it the red bat indicator light stayed on for about 10-15 seonds then went out, The battery is original in a 2010 Voyager so I figured it was time to replace I put in a YUSAA , and started it , no light. The battery that was in there sounded a little weak anyway

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I leave all our bikes, and the garden tractor, on Batt. Tenders all the time they are not being used. Tenders aren't chargers and cannot recharge a batt. once it discharges. Just an FYI.

I recently changed the Alt. on my Jeep and there was a notice included with it. It reads: "This alternator IS NOT A BATTERY CHARGER! It is designed to MAINTAIN YOUR BATTERY ONLY not to recharge a discharged battery!"

It goes on to read:

BEFORE INSTALLING the alternator, CHECK the condition of the vehicle's BATTERY as follows:
1. If the OCV (Open Circuit Voltage) is BELOW 12.4 VOLTS, RECHARGE TO 12.4 VOLTS or higher.

2. If the Battery is 30 MONTHS OLD or OLDER, it should be either PROFESSIONALLY TESTED or have a high quality NEW BATTERY INSTALLED BEFORE STARTING THE ENGINE. UNLESS THESE PROCEDURES ARE FOLLOWED, DAMAGE TO THE ALTENATOR MAY OCCUR, WHICH MAY VOID THE WARRANTY."

Bold and underlined text is as it appears on the warning.

It was the first time I ever found that type warning in a replacement alt. box...

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I can see that disclaimer being useless.
Someone leaves their lights on, kills the battery, they will get a boost and drive away. No one will tow the vehicle home and put the battery on a charger.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
When my skoot was a bit over 2 years old the battery lite would stay on and still does stay on for a few seconds after crank-up, even if I have had the battery on a charger.

As a battery ages it's recovery time from the high-amp discharge of startin these big V-twins takes longer, their reserve capacity is slowly being diminished as the battery gets older.

Kinda like me!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
When my skoot was a bit over 2 years old the battery lite would stay on and still does stay on for a few seconds after crank-up, even if I have had the battery on a charger.

As a battery ages it's recovery time from the high-amp discharge of startin these big V-twins takes longer, their reserve capacity is slowly being diminished as the battery gets older.

Kinda like me!!

RACNRAY
I replaced the battery in my 2010 this winter. Not riding the bike as much as I used to. Only about 45,000 miles on it. Mostly use it for cold weather, two up, and rides with my cruiser buddies. It is on a maintainer when parked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts