Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2006 900 Classic, and the batteries keep going bad, which may be user error. But maybe not. I had a battery for about a year, but during that time I left the lights on, draining the battery, 3-4 times (I know, right). So when I had to replace that battery, it didn't come as much of a surprise.

A month into my new battery, I did it again--left the lights on and drained the battery. I push started it and everything was great again, but now three weeks later, battery is ruined. Here's why I'm pretty sure of that:

Bike won't start, lights on, but just clicking.
Electrolyte cap has worked its way open.
Battery measures at 12.9V (looks good right?), when bike is turned on, drops to 12.5V
When I hit the starter, it drops to 7.6V, no dice.

Jump started from my truck, the bike now (once warm) idles at 15.7V!!!!!
Checked to see if theres a charging problem by revving--jumps to 19V
By now the electrolyte cap has come off again.

This same thing happened last time, and I checked to make sure it wasn't a charging problem (I had replaced the stator previous to all of this). It was indeed at 13-15V when revving. Looks like its still fine, since it went from 15.7 to 19V. I also tried charging the battery, and it got really hot, which if I understand correctly, is a telltale sign.

So is this my fault?? Is it really that necessary to hook the battery up to a trickle charger after it dies completely (obviously it would be ideal). Other (carbureted) bikes never gave me this issue. I'm just surprised that this happened after only one instance of killing the battery.

Is there something else that could be causing this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, this same scenario may be elsewhere in the forums, but I wasn't able to find it. Please let me know if this has already been asked!

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
You have a bad charging system issue.
Do not run the engine until it is rectified.

Post back if this is something you want to fix yourself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like a regulator/rectifier problem. Over charging the battery and basically cooking it. Regulated voltage output shouldn't be much over 15 volts (at the most, no matter how many rpms).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a regulator/rectifier problem. Over charging the battery and basically cooking it. Regulated voltage output shouldn't be much over 15 volts (at the most, no matter how many rpms).

Yeah it looks like it is still overcharging (just put in a new battery), so maybe this is it?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
First, check the reg/rect for corroded connections.
If they look ok, then replace reg/rect and battery and do a charging system voltage check.

Post back with any questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, check the reg/rect for corroded connections.
If they look ok, then replace reg/rect and battery and do a charging system voltage check.

Post back with any questions.
Replaced reg/rect and everything still appears to be working properly a few weeks later. When I initially replaced the part, the battery voltage was measuring at just over 13V at idle (even when bike was warm and idling slower). Normal charging voltage at revving. So a little high at idle, but otherwise working as expected. Could be the result of the $30 Amazon part I used.

Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Replaced reg/rect and everything still appears to be working properly a few weeks later. When I initially replaced the part, the battery voltage was measuring at just over 13V at idle (even when bike was warm and idling slower). Normal charging voltage at revving. So a little high at idle, but otherwise working as expected. Could be the result of the $30 Amazon part I used.

Thanks!
So it was just a replacement of the regulator/rectifier? And the $30 one from amazon is working for you? Got a link? Or a rectifier you wish you had gone with? I'm having the same problem with batteries constantly going.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
So it was just a replacement of the regulator/rectifier? And the $30 one from amazon is working for you? Got a link? Or a rectifier you wish you had gone with? I'm having the same problem with batteries constantly going.
You should troubleshoot the issue instead of just throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I was about to pull my hair out and figured the 30 bucks was worth it, even if it was only a temporary or half fix. I wish I could give you a link but I can't find that order for some reason. Moral of the story is, it worked, and is still working.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You should troubleshoot the issue instead of just throwing parts at it.
Yeah I was about to pull my hair out and figured the 30 bucks was worth it, even if it was only a temporary or half fix.

To be fair the only charging system part failure that could allow 19V to the battery is the regulator/rectifier. Granted there could be deeper issues but sure makes sense to start there.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
To be fair the only charging system part failure that could allow 19V to the battery is the regulator/rectifier. Granted there could be deeper issues but sure makes sense to start there.
Nowhere did I see TXsailor state that he had 19v at the battery.

My advise still stands.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nowhere did I see TXsailor state that he had 19v at the battery.

My advise still stands.
Agreed, I didn't, I don't have my tools unpacked yet from the last move, and finding the time to do so is harder than just swapping a rectifier to see lol. But I'll race the part here looking for my multimeter to check.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts