Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Chaps,

Well two weeks to go then my VN900 custom is on the road (legally that is)
One issue I have is with the battery. When I put the key in & then turn it, all the lights come on & it does the self test thing. The indicators, brake lights etc are all OK
When I press the start button however, the engine doesn't cough or kick over or anything. It just makes a sound similar to this, the 2nd time this guy starts his 900:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U__A9uRL-8&feature=youtu.be

My driveway is on a bit of an angle & I can successfully "Clutch" start her while rolling down the driveway.

Ideally I'd like to get this fixed before I have my full license, any suggestions?
Go for a big big ride without stopping or getting off to charge the battery & if so how long?
Or a new battery altogether perhaps?
Or just charge it? I do have a charger should I set it to 6 or 12 volts?
Or any other suggestions?
Thanks!!

Vince

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
If it's clicking noise then it's probably just the battery low or not good connections in the starter circuit.

Try charging first (12V) and checking the connections.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hi Chaps,

Well two weeks to go then my VN900 custom is on the road (legally that is)
One issue I have is with the battery. When I put the key in & then turn it, all the lights come on & it does the self test thing. The indicators, brake lights etc are all OK
When I press the start button however, the engine doesn't cough or kick over or anything. It just makes a sound similar to this, the 2nd time this guy starts his 900:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U__A9uRL-8&feature=youtu.be

My driveway is on a bit of an angle & I can successfully "Clutch" start her while rolling down the driveway.

Ideally I'd like to get this fixed before I have my full license, any suggestions?
Go for a big big ride without stopping or getting off to charge the battery & if so how long?
Or a new battery altogether perhaps?
Or just charge it? I do have a charger should I set it to 6 or 12 volts?
Or any other suggestions?
Thanks!!

Vince
Do not use a charger that is meant for a car or truck. Find a trickle charger and only charge it for a couple of hours. Better to use a smart charger. Check the connections to the battery. Use a socket wrench not a screwdriver. Nice and snug. Borrow a volt meter and check the battery about an hour after you take it off of charge. The voltage should be above 12.6 VDC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts