Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I mounted a fairing on my bud's 08 VN900. He ran it from mid season to the end of the year with no issues. Now he says the battery drains dead within a day, bike parked, 2-yr old battery fully charged. The battery is sealed, so no water to add, and it is rated at 1.2 amps capacity So I went to check it out.

Checked the voltage right after I disconnected the charger, got 13.7v. Bike started fine, everything works, including the LED spots I mounted in the fairing, and the stereo. So I checked the amp draw. With the fairing harness plugged in I get a fluctuating 50 to 75 milAmp draw. That works out to about 16 hours of draw until the battery is discharged.

I disconnect the fairing harness, check the draw and get 2.1 milAmp draw, much closer to normal. That calculates to 600 hours of draw until the battery is dead. That sounds about normal to me. Anyone else know if this is typical for the VN900?

The stereo is one of the PYLE brand I bought on ebay, and the specs say 7.5amp power consumption. I assume that is at full rated output, but it is interesting that the draw I read with the faceplate off the radio is 75 milAmp. My bud took the faceplate off thinking it would be the draw problem. But, when I snapped the faceplate back on the stereo came on immediately, so the radio had power on even if the faceplate was off. I suspect he just needs to fully power the stereo off. Otherwise I'll install a relay for the accessories to shut off when the bike ignition is turned off. Right now, the stereo can run while the key is off because it is powered on the accessory white/blue wire which is right from the battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So with the key out of the bike, the way it is wired now, you could press the power button and listen to the radio? Seems like you may have answered your own question! Lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well yeah, I kinda figured I'd get that for a reply. The wiring diagram shows the white/blue wire for the accessories goes right to the battery. My buddy thought by taking the radio faceplate off that it depowers the stereo. My bet is the amp in the stereo is still powered.

So I'll add a relay in the electrical box (mounted where the headlight used to be) so the accessories will power off any time the ignition key is turned off.

But I was curious if anyone else checked their VN900 for current draw with the ignition off to verify the amps. I measured 2.10 milAmp, starting with the battery at 13.5 volt that should give almost 600 hours of stand time before the battery is dead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts