Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '94 vulcan 1500 and when I go to start it it drains the battery.I used my truck battery and still does it,so I know it's not the battery.If I pull the plugs the starter turns over fine - It has 41500 miles on it.Just need to know where to start looking before I pull the motor and start on the top end

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I am unclear as to what you are saying.

1. Battery goes dead when trying to start, or
2. Will not start, period.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sfair - When I hit the starter button,the starter drains the battery like it has a high draw on it and it drains down the battery.It doesn't turn over at all with the plugs in.Update,I just tried starting it and what happens is the bike starts to turn over then the selinoid starts clicking,that;s why I was thinking the battery was draining

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Before we start throwing parts at it to see what sticks (this ain't spaghetti, it won't stick when its done). Give some background on the bike, how much do you know about it, any mods, electrical work you or PO may have done, mileage and so forth. It is normally good practice when a battery or electrical problem is suspect is to check all connections, check voltage and charge if needed, then load test it. Make sure your battery is good.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
My observation from what you have described. Doing a load test while starter is on bike will not give accurate result. You will need to remove, do bench tests, and then disassemble for a visual inspection. I think you will find a positive brush holder broken and grounding.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Starters are usually pretty trouble free and when they do fail, the stop working period. They don't get weak. That's why I'm still not sold on it being a starter problem. Since you tried starting it with your truck battery and it did the same thing lets assume you don't have a battery issue. The only other component that's in the equation is the relay. Those typically work fine or not at all just like the starter. This is a puzzle. Since it's not that hard to get a starter out, I'd probably take it out, take apart and see what's going on inside as Bandit suggested.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was my fault,I was using jump cable connected to the terminals and it must have not been a good enough contact causing high resistance.I put the battery in and it turn over and smoked from the rear exhaust mainfiold(pipes are off do to PO mounting them wrong and breaking one) so that's one less thing.Kawi Rick,starters do generally fail completely but carbon will build up on thew armature and cause it not to spin freely thus causing a current draw.Thanks for the help,I'm sure I'll be posting more question ands hopefully answers

·
Registered
436 Posts
Good news. Glad you got it figured out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts