Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got coupon for a FREE YUASA Smart Shot 900 Battery Charger from the dealership. Does anyone have this Brand/Model, and how does it compare to the Tender Plus?

All I've ever heard of is the Tender series charger, and the Consensus from those who I have spoken to, is that the Tender Plus offers the best features and quality on the market. But again, I paid nother for the YUASA and for me springlike weather is only 3 weeks away... Is the Yuasa a Keeper or should I be looking to sell it and put that money towards a Tender Plus?

SirMickey

·
Registered
84 Posts
These battery tenders aren't terribly sophisticated so I'd guess they're all using about the same technology. I'd use the freebie until it drops, if ever, and then decide what to replace it with.

Tenders are great. I don't leave mine on all of the time. I turn it on whenever it is really cold out or overnight about once a week.

Won't it be nice when we don't have to tend our batteries.

rick

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought a nice tender charger at Walmart for like 29 bucks. I just leave it on and if battery drops so low it kicks on.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I use a 'Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger" and leave it on at all times, because it makes staring these bikes a breeze. Most of these tenders go into a float mode once the battery reaches a full charge. The Tender Plus you mention eliminates battery destroying sulfation so it states. If this is the case it would be superior to the other tenders.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sorry can't comment on the one your talking about but I have the Schumacher tender / charger and it worked great and charged my old bikes battery fairly quick...

·
Registered
54 Posts
A new question for this if you dont mind.

I have a 2007 Vulcan Classic LT. I had to purchase a new Battery. EverStart and the correct size for the bike. I followed the charging instructions to the letter with a 1.5 amp "first charge" till the auto charger showed green and had stopped charging.
road for 2.5 hrs today and stopped at a red light. it just kind of died right there and the engine wouldn't even turn over. it just clicked a few times and then nothing. Could the charging system on the bike be bad and how can I tell?

·
Registered
54 Posts
A new question for this if you dont mind.

I have a 2007 Vulcan Classic LT. I had to purchase a new Battery. EverStart and the correct size for the bike. I followed the charging instructions to the letter with a 1.5 amp "first charge" till the auto charger showed green and had stopped charging.
road for 2.5 hrs today and stopped at a red light. it just kind of died right there and the engine wouldn't even turn over. it just clicked a few times and then nothing. Could the charging system on the bike be bad and how can I tell?
Need to know pretty quick. I have a scheduled Patriot Guard ride planned.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It sounds like your charging system is dead. You could charge the battery enough to start the engine, then put a digital voltmeter across the terminals. With the engine running the voltmeter should start climbing towards 14V. If you see the voltage dropping the charging circuit has problems. Since the headlight and ignition system is drawing current from the battery the alternator/mag should be able to rapidly charge the battery as well. Check the fuses maybe you will be lucky......

·
Registered
73 Posts
Harbour Freight has tenders for $5. Any little plugin transformer charger rated at 12V DC with an open circuit voltage of around 19 volts will work. I have several rated at 300-1000 ma that work fine for any 12V battery. I purchased a two wire trailer light jumper with matching male/female connectors on each end from Autozone for $2. Then cut it in two and put one end on the battery and the other spiced to the battery eliminator/charger. Make sure you have it wired positive to positive and negative to negative. Finally plug it into a cheap timer that has it on for one hour a day.
Then forget it for the winter. Next spring the bike will crank like new...... I have this arrangement on my riding lawnmower, scooter and my bike........ It got up to 52 today so I got on my 900 and it cranked like I had just put a fresh battery on it.........

The advantage of this arrangment is the battery is kept charged to maximum voltage but not overcharged to age the battery. The cycle shop I bought my Vulcan from has been getting 7 years of service out of his batteries.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It sounds like your charging system is dead. You could charge the battery enough to start the engine, then put a digital voltmeter across the terminals. With the engine running the voltmeter should start climbing towards 14V. If you see the voltage dropping the charging circuit has problems. Since the headlight and ignition system is drawing current from the battery the alternator/mag should be able to rapidly charge the battery as well. Check the fuses maybe you will be lucky......
Thank you, I was afraid of that.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Not trying to be funny, double check to see if your terminals are tight., if you changed the battery, they may be loose.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not trying to be funny, double check to see if your terminals are tight., if you changed the battery, they may be loose.
appreciate the double check. it was nice n tight.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hoaah.... In reading the threads there seems to be a high failure rate with the Vulcan 2007 stator. It usually makes a whinning noise before it totally fails. This can be a fairly expensive repair....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts