Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just bought my first bike which is a 2000 Vulcan 500. I've spent HOURS on this site already, so thanks for all the tips and info!

A few electrical questions:

1) I'm putting SAE tails on the battery. I noticed some come with fuses of different strengths. Most list 10A, but some are 7.5A. In addition to adding the tender, I plan to power a cigarette lighter port so I can charge my phone but also to use a portable tire gauge and air compressor. (Since I already need cigarette lighter port for the air compressor, I opted for that instead of a USB connection.) I'm too new to post links but the compressor is this one from Amazon: Tire Inflator, Tacklife ACP1A Air Compressor Pump, 12V Tire Pump with Unique Continuous Inflation Function,Larger Backlight Display, LED Light, 3 Nozzle Adaptors and Extra Fuse(150PSI)
Question: Does it matter which fuse option I buy (7.5 or 10)?

2) For this next question, there's a previous thread that lists the answer in Amps, but not Watts, which is why I'm asking here. I tried an online converter but it needs a "power factor" and does anyone REALLY know what that means??

So: does anyone know how many watts I should have available with a standard 500? In addition to the seperate phone charging and compressor usage, I'd like to add more lights. Also, there's an article that says the "max watts" of the alternator is for cruising speed, not puttering around the city (and I live in DC). Any advice on how many watts I should safely have available while cruising, and also how many I should have while puttering around the city would be great!

Thanks all,
Sultan

·
Registered
698 Posts
For the socket question, I'd go with the smaller 7 amp fuse. The compressor you listed has 6 amp max output.

For the output from the bike I think I remember from other posts that 55 watts are available.
That meas you have about 4.5 amps to use.
Running at top limit will put a big load on your charging system and is something to avoid.

Search for what others have done for adding extra lights.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Voltage x amp = watts
Watts/amps =volts
Watts/volts = amps

Maximum amperage is a good number to use for gauging requirements, but generally the max amperage is only used at start up or under heavy load. Either way, make sure the bike is running if you have something plugged in.

If you go with led lights you can significantly reduce the power draw over Hid or standard bulbs. You can also replace headlight bulb with led to further reduce draw on charging system, since it's always on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts